Home Technical Talk

Can I open a 2020 zbrush file in zbrush 2022?

dsalin34
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
dsalin34 polycounter lvl 2

Hi everyone, is it possible to open a 2020 zbrush file in zbrush 2022?

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    have you tried?. I often open older files, but sometimes they just don't work ( if they are really old)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    2020 should be no problem. The other way around doesnt work, the. Its usually export fully detailled and reconstruct in the older version. But also doable
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Kind of f---ing stupid isn't it, at least i can give it sadly, to Autodesk that they support these backwards compatible situations, 100% credit where it's due.
    Makes no damn sense, perhaps some studios/devs/someone somewhere has created some work around where an outside converted is used? to help with these silly situations... I do not need it but if anyone does, we should kind of know about it.

The work around in the future if anyone has older versions before exporting is to export the .obj file and reconstruct the subdivision levels, hopefully that gets you somewhere at least.  An on that topic i just played with these very formats just yesterday for something, i could share it but it really isn't for this topic, its just bout moving files between across 3 applications (to make my life easier) and might share it somewhere in here(site) for those that might need it..
    edited: thought there was a thread or topic about the application jumping, i just "stumbled" upon it and it seems i can jump across any of the 3D apps i use and they are all in sync and i can export and re-import between them with no issues of resizing.//idk what i did, i just changed max, units i think and the rest is fine, zbrush blender, no idea but current design has no issues doing it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the thing with reconstruct is, there is always a few solutions something could be reconstructed, the more power of two the mesh is constructed, the more options there are. and there are times when reconstruct just hard fails. Ring like shapes are often wrong for instance. its annoying as hell. Blender for instance lets you toggle through the possible options and pick the right one.