Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Game character, looking for critiques/feedbacks

Currently working on a character based on a concept by Coco Kim

These are my blockout+ stage, before moving to highres. Ignore the parts that are not mirrored. If you need other angles or zoom in just tell me :)

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Here's some feedback, hope it's helpful but its just opinion, wouldn't say you've done anything "wrong":

compared to the concept yours feels more realistic.

there are a few curves in the concept that I think are pretty important. The waist (where hips meet the ribs) is a pretty sharp pinch in the concept, but yours is more smoothed out.

From side view in yours we don't see the sharp arch of the lower back ( i realize arm is in way, but may be a good idea to still consider this silhouette since a game character likely never has arms by side at default pose)

Proportions wise, it seems the concept feels slightly taller and slimmer. Your boobs seem like a cup larger, and the hips are not as wide and legs don't have as much stylized curve along the outside edge.

None of this is to say your interpretation is wrong, but does feel different compared to the concept.

• zadkiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    Here's some feedback, hope it's helpful but its just opinion, wouldn't say you've done anything "wrong":

compared to the concept yours feels more realistic.

there are a few curves in the concept that I think are pretty important. The waist (where hips meet the ribs) is a pretty sharp pinch in the concept, but yours is more smoothed out.

From side view in yours we don't see the sharp arch of the lower back ( i realize arm is in way, but may be a good idea to still consider this silhouette since a game character likely never has arms by side at default pose)

Proportions wise, it seems the concept feels slightly taller and slimmer. Your boobs seem like a cup larger, and the hips are not as wide and legs don't have as much stylized curve along the outside edge.

None of this is to say your interpretation is wrong, but does feel different compared to the concept.

So in general just sharper curves around waist and calves? 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Well don't just follow what I say like it's an order. Just think about whether or not it makes sense to you.

I'd want to take some time to think about if I'm achieving the same artistic expression as the reference. So carefully looking at them in comparison might help:

The concept is quite a bit more stylized in shape language and proportion. Yours feels more realistic. Which might be what you want. But might not. The concept has more legs and shorter torso (this is a common "idealized" way to stylize femininity).  Overall it is less plump and more slender, and the waist area is especially pinched, compared to yours.

See how the concept has more pronounced curves? Also those sharp leather creases as the knees and ankle seem important.

It would be better not to compare against zbrush viewport though, unless you render in there. If you render somewhere else, you should do your comparisons there. Zbrush has weird camera and it always looks a little different.