Home Adobe Substance

Normal map export issue

Hi there! this problem is driving me crazy and i need some help to fix it. When i export the maps to another software and apply the normals it shows every UV seam.
I have tried painting over the edges of uv on the normal map; make the uv edges hard edge in maya; exported the model with different settings; exported normals with different settings; using different softwares to render.
Nothing works and i dont know what else i could try to fix it.
the first screenshot is in Substance Painter and the other are marmoset and unreal.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    In order to attempt to debug that, you also need to show screenshots of the raw model (without textures) in both environments. And also, upload said model and textures for people to have a look.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    I agree with pior on sharing files to avoid a guessing game. That said, a default thing to check is whether the normal maps settings are correct in Unreal (Compression Settings set to Normalmap (which will disable sRgb) and correct green channel direction (DirectX)).
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It doesn't look like a flipped green channel

It's possible unreal is importing the textures wrong as stated above but my guess is that the tangents etc. aren't carrying through with the model.  

That should be easy enough to solve in marmoset - Unreal might be trickier if this is a skeletal mesh, it used to have some pretty shitty restrictions on that sort of thing (may not be the case in recent years) 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    poopipe said:
    It doesn't look like a flipped green channel

It's possible unreal is importing the textures wrong as stated above but my guess is that the tangents etc. aren't carrying through with the model.  

That should be easy enough to solve in marmoset - Unreal might be trickier if this is a skeletal mesh, it used to have some pretty shitty restrictions on that sort of thing (may not be the case in recent years) 

you can tell it to import normals, normals and tangents or construct them in engine. if you pick that option the mesh should be flushed through unreal into the bake to make sure baker and unreal are in sync. but it should matter if static or skeletal mesh, you have the same options
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Imo  some seams are always visible on  animated models  until they are really hi res .   I suggest to just hide them  where it might look  ok anatomically. 
    Like  this shade separating parts of deltoideus  . If you change the direction of the seam in  trapezius  a bit    it might look  same as  a legit shade  in right place and nobody ever notice. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    @Neox : good to know, i haven't put a character in unreal for years 

@gnoop : not putting seams in really obvious places is good advice but it's not a substitute for making sure the model has the correct information in it - you should be doing both

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    gnoop said:
    Imo  some seams are always visible on  animated models  until they are really hi res .   I suggest to just hide them  where it might look  ok anatomically. 
    Like  this shade separating parts of deltoideus  . If you change the direction of the seam in  trapezius  a bit    it might look  same as  a legit shade  in right place and nobody ever notice. 

sorry but a seam this visible is never okay. not on a simple surface like this. hiding it elsewhere is not a solution, its a hack at best.
    you can see in substance painter that it works, unreal and substance should be synced so i assume its some oddly set export or import settings somewhere.
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    @gbragazziart  Its really looking like mesh normals issue it

Double check Locked/Unlocked Normals in Maya if you're yousing it. They should be Unlocked and all of them put to the Soften in your(organic) case and baked like that. This way it should be good^^

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Neox said:
    gnoop said:

sorry but a seam this visible is never okay. not on a simple surface like this. hiding it elsewhere is not a solution, its a hack at best.
    you can see in substance painter that it works, unreal and substance should be synced so i assume its some oddly set export or import settings somewhere.

I never worked for a game using Unreal engine .  And  there always been seams . SSAO  revealing them like crazy     and so on .   What magic Unreal has  is a modern  wonder  indeed.