Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Flamingo Character Sculpt

Hey all, 

I wanted to reach out and get some thoughts on this stylized character sculpt. The original concept is from Hyeonsick Choi and the character is called "Flamingo"

I feel like overall it's missing something to help it stand out. Right now it feels like it has the basic components, but it's either missing some details or some of the design elements feel off. Should I just add a paintover layer to help add the colors for the dress or is there something in the sculpt I should adjust?

Thanks for taking a look!

Replies

• Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    It looks good, in terms of accuracy!

I'm not an expert, but I feel like it's in your shader. For one, some of your colour contrast is off. Look at the belt on the image, for example, compared to yours. Yours is much redder; it blends in with the dress a lot when it's in the light.

I also think the cel shading itself is bringing it down a little. There's several more shades on the image than on your character; I'd recommend modifying the dress' shader to add more.

The skin colour is off; I feel like it's a little bit warmer in the image, a bit more pink, than yours, and the light colour is much more pink. The lit part of the skin on your model is basically white.

The shoe colour is off, as well.

The hair's shader is also a bit off. Other than colour inaccuracy, it's just flat. The hair on the image is a lot more visibly glossy. An anisotropic shader ought to do the trick, if you put it through a colour ramp. Pay attention, particularly, to the colours in the hair; lighter at the top, then blue where the glossy highlight is, then darker brown, then a regular brown again. If you can replicate that, it'll help a lot.

Lastly, I feel like one thing is that the geometry's shading is just too clean. As you've modeled some of the creases, why not do some normal editing to generate stronger, more 2D-looking shadows? That would allow you to emphasise them more. I also recommend using some Voronoi or another type of noise on the shader for the dress. If I remember rightly, it would work something like this:

- Ramp your diffuse up like you're going to make it cel shaded, but leave a little gradient at the edge.
    - Invert it, so that the part of your model that's unlit will be white. Get your noise factor, and use that to multiply it.
    - Now take your original colour ramp, and subtract that from it. This should give you a slightly noisy edge that looks a bit more natural.

I think with just a few tweaks, it'll really help.
  • Krom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krom polycounter lvl 13
    The cloth on the concept looks more complex and more detailed. You can benefit from using marvelous designer simulation. 
    Leather parts are also more detailed on the concept.
  • borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    I love it, looks really neat!