Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Topology feedback

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
*Sebastian polycounter lvl 8

Hello folks.

I looked for a small project to train topology.

Unfortunately, I had to realize that I probably still have a lot of deficits in this area. I've already watched around three hours of tutorials on YT but simply couldn't find a way to solve this problem.

As you can see from the red circles, there are problems transitioning from the inner to the outer ring. There are corners where there shouldn't be any. I want a clean transition between the two rings, but I don't know how to solve something like this topologically.

Can any of you guys help me and tell me how to get rid of these issues?

Thanks very much.

Thanks very much.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't be afraid to use more geometry or ngons. Having a lot of edges terminating on one vertex can cause a lot of weird pinching, especially when close to other verts or not on flat surfaces. You can get away with lots of poles or messier topology on flat areas of the model. Also don't be afraid to break up the model, the ring could be a separate piece of geo if you need it to be. 
  • *Sebastian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Sebastian polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD said:
    Don't be afraid to use more geometry or ngons. Having a lot of edges terminating on one vertex can cause a lot of weird pinching, especially when close to other verts or not on flat surfaces. You can get away with lots of poles or messier topology on flat areas of the model. Also don't be afraid to break up the model, the ring could be a separate piece of geo if you need it to be. 

Thanks for the answer.

More polygons makes sense, but I'm not sure where. If I try that, it doesn't make the situation any better. Do you have any suggestions as to where on the model I might add a few more edge loops?

Thank you very much.