Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Greek ruin/bathing spot, looking for feedback

I would really appreciate feedback on my scene and how to improve it. It is supposed to be a portfolio piece in the end. I just started experimenting with the background and lighting recently and there are definitely a lot of improvements to be made. In the end I want the scene to feel more alive, I am struggling with what more assets I should make to add to the storytelling of the scene or make it more visually interesting. I currently think it looks a bit bland. Would be really thankful for any tips! 
Here are my main references 

Replies

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Hi, this is cool so far, I really like your idea! If this is a ruin it might be cool or interesting to have broken pieces of building scattered around in the foreground, possibly sticking up out of the water? Or you could have more foliage assets such as ivy or moss growing on the building to help it look old and weathered. I also like how in the bottom middle reference there are interesting fountains pouring water into the  main body of water which would be cool to add to your piece. Additionally I'm wondering if having a second camera angle looking down slightly onto the ruin would be helpful to give you more space on the "ground" to add smaller details without the space feeling cluttered.