Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Princess Knight

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Paff polycounter lvl 3

This is the character I have been working on recently. I am not working off of any concept art and am going for a vaguely WW1/WW2 theme meshed with medieval armour. I would love some feedback on it.

Replies

• Ahsan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahsan55 triangle
    Looks awesome!
    The cloth looks great is it all simulated simulated in marvelous?
    I was trying to make magazine pouches for my character in marvelous but i didn't have much control over the shape and folds so I gave up and modeled them.
    Anyways i don't see how this character could be of royal descent (as your title is Princess Knight).
    Perhaps try a more crown like silhouette with the helmet, patterns on the armor or an additional piece that would give some indication as to the rank. 
    The helmet also looks kinda sad and tired. Perhaps you could try to reverse the shape of the opening if you are going for a more serious look.
    Looking forward to how this project will look once its finished.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    use primary references (museum references). Overall interesting idea, kinda gives wh40k vibes which is neat. Will she be shot at with firearms? Maybe look at modern ballistic armour references too. I think you'll find inspiration by googling "Cuirassier armour", which is basically what you're making from a functional standpoint.

The simulated cloth is nice but it's wrinkled in odd ways in some areas, also due to the amount of wrinkles makes it look fairly thin and lightweight.

The cuirass needs straps to attach the brestplate to the backplate, same with the greaves, unless they're held in place with spring rivets or other methods. You will want a strap leading from the belt to the poleyns and greaves for weight distribution; having the weight of the poleyns and greaves resting on the top of your foot by the lower lip of the greave is a big no-go. It turns armour into a hinderance.

Poleyns need work. Haute guard (vertical flange on the pauldron) is a bit too close to the head which will result in clipping when raising the arms. Besagew is attached upside-down, which is interesting... guess it works visually but besagews are for protecting the armpit so they're usually attached by a leather strap from behind, to the front of the pauldron hanging down

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks very flat chested. Having looked with google I saw another example of costume armor that was also flat so who knows?
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    What a fun and interesting idea,
    looks cool!
  • Paff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paff polycounter lvl 3
    Ahsan55 said:
    Anyways i don't see how this character could be of royal descent (as your title is Princess Knight).
    Perhaps try a more crown like silhouette with the helmet, patterns on the armor or an additional piece that would give some indication as to the rank. 
    The helmet also looks kinda sad and tired. Perhaps you could try to reverse the shape of the opening if you are going for a more serious look.
    Looking forward to how this project will look once its finished.
    The helmet is removable and she will be a bit more royal looking underneath but you are right, and I will look at some heraldry of some sort to spice up the outside. The issue is im going for a more functional look to the armour so finding areas to spice up is a bit tricky. Regarding the mask I'm primarily looking at things like Jin-Roh: The Wolf brigade and the Zaku ii designs as reference and trying to get that emotionless look to the mask.
    Also for the folds I've found the key to be having some kind of box underneath, turning off gravity and using lots of pins (by holding W when dragging).

zetheros said:
    use primary references (museum references). Overall interesting idea, kinda gives wh40k vibes which is neat. Will she be shot at with firearms? Maybe look at modern ballistic armour references too. I think you'll find inspiration by googling "Cuirassier armour", which is basically what you're making from a functional standpoint.
    Thanks for the extremely detailed reply. 40k vibes is a great compliment. The ballistic armour is a great idea to look at thanks. While I don't know too much about armour I do love a more realistic look to it and Ill look to address as much as I can. Regarding the folds I'll see if smoothing it out a bit works otherwise ill try to go back and re simulate it a little. Marvelous is finicky when it comes to fold sizes.

pxgeek said:
    What a fun and interesting idea,
    looks cool!
    Thank you!

I realised I left out the plume and holster when screenshotting it so here are some updated images.

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    upgrading the besagew to a larger encranche with a painted coat of arms could help with identifying herself on the field
  • Ahsan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahsan55 triangle
    My first thought when i saw the gasmask-like helmet and red eyes was definitely Jin-roh and now that I look at it more closely I can see how the mouth part is inspired by the Zaku (though i think Zakus aren't emotionless and can be quite expressive due to their single eye, but yes it does look intimidating) so you are definitely going in somewhat the right direction but If possible i'd recommend going back to the drawing board for the visor because i believe it could be improved with not a lot of effort but that's up to you and what you have time for.

Some of my comments may conflict with what others are saying (e.g. cloth) so sorry about that you should probably take their advice since they have much more knowledge and experience under their belts.
    I'm just starting out so i doubt my critique will be much more than a personal opinion 
    I often see posts on this forum that don't get attention so i thought I'd do my part and in the process and hopefully learn new things.