Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on Models (Texture work)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone, I've been getting feedback from industry professionals on my portfolio, and I wanted to get some more feedback on my materials.
I have been told from separate people to "stop using the default materials from Substance Painter", even though I always build my materials from scratch. I feel like that means my materials feel generic or out of place.
Could I get some feedback to bring my texture work to the next level?
I've added some examples of my work here, and would really appreciate any comment.

edit- forgot to mention you don't need to sugarcoat anything, honestly brutal feedback is probably what I need right now.

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Hey there,
    I think your work is pretty good and I quite like the scavenger character.
    One issue with it is that the materials all look too uniform. Everything looks to have a similar roughness value, and also have a same kind of generic noise throughout. Take care into adding some intention into the grunge and wear of the materials. Especially for this type of character, you have a lot of opportunity to tell a story with it's materials.
    Take a look at this screenshot as a comparison for what i mean:

And if this is mainly for a portfolio showcase; I think you would benefit with more geometry and higher res textures. Your polycount and texture resolution look very conservative by today's standards.
    Hope that was helpful...keep it up!
  • hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
    Yes, it was very helpful. Thank you for the feedback!