Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized Character Feedback

It's likely readily apparent, but I'm still quite new at the art of sculpting. I'm hoping people can point out where I've gone wrong in this stylized approach. I have been working from a character reference, but I find the more complicated 3-Dimensional structures (face, butt) are harder for me to get looking right in a stylized character vs an actual human model.

Blender is the only tool used, sculpting directly from a skin modifier used to block out the general shape.

Any feedback is appreciated, I'll update the thread with results!

(I know I haven't sculpted the feet or done the hair yet  ;) )

Replies

• LucasWeij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally it helps me a lot to start out pretty low res. That way I have less geo to mess up so I get better shapes. Then when I like the overal shape, I add geo and detail and work my way up. Maybe that helps to get the shapes right

Like if you take the ears in the render you took. Its hard to correct the shape if you have a lot of geo. with less geo you keep it straight and easier to keep it smooth
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    As Lucas says, start low. In fact you should block out such stylized characters in very simple geometry, entirely, first. Use low res spheres and sculpt them into the large shapes you need. This is a good place to start.

https://youtu.be/5iDGhVMJM9Y

You'll also want to decide early on exactly how you want to handle the eyes. For characters like this the eyes are usually 2d sprites applied to the head mesh.
  • im_trying
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the eyes were purely just to block out something so that it didn't look quite so weird to view empty eye sockets while I was sculpting.

Low-res makes sense, I tend to make the mistake of going pointlessly high res too quickly. I guess I can try using subdivide-collapse with a lower detail brush to pull some of the detail back out of places like the ears and get a smoother look. Will watch the video and see what I can fix up retroactively.

Thanks so much!