Home Technical Talk

How would you render a wool roving ball in real-time?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6

Something like above.

It seems I would need 3 things:

- unwrap the model specifically to create a directional roving appearance, plus some random white fluffy noise.

- add hair card (aka fins) on model surface then use shader to render small hairy bits at grazing angle.

- use a better shading model than default lit.

Questions:

- I don’t think standard cloth model include this type of materials, can I fake the shading via anisotropy? If so, how?

- I thought about using displacement or bent normal to create small occlusion of layered threads, but really I have no clues if this is the best approach.

- I would like to have a material that can apply to any object without relying on manual unwrap, but I can’t think of a way to create meaningful directional roving on arbitrary surface.

any help appreciated!

Replies

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Updates:

- I tried the cloth material type today in Unreal, and it does create a significantly closer image to the wool roving (overwriting the roughness specular to something more diffused). One remaining question is whether I should use non-constant "fuzz color" parameter, is it a purely artistic parameter?

- I still have troubles producing small occlusion between strands (perhaps fuzz color can help?), but larger AO are well-served by baking occlusion map from a highpoly model.

- I did go with a fully unwrapped object with uv following specific directions, this allows for better roving textures. Unfortunately the method comes with some uv stretching when unwrapping as a continuous uv island, I am unsure which method can fix it.

- I am not sure what I should do to replicate those tiny white strand that follows the general wool roving directions, I tried base color, normal, roughness, emission, fuzz color, none looks quite right. What's the microscopic physics (BSDF) here and which parameter can best simulate its effect?
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    it looks something like this at the moment, obviously lacking fur card, but that can be done quite easily. I would like to improve the surface material to make it, emmm, more wool like.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

it's basically hair, use a hair shader

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    coming back to this thread, yes, a bit of hair card plus proper use of hair shader, this thing can look pretty good: