Home Technical Talk

Extending a complex texture naming convention

Recently I've been revisiting the texture naming convention currently in use, and I'm at a bit of a crossroads. While this has barely any impact on the end user (modding/asset extraction aside), it has a huge impact on UX. Currently used naming scheme allows for quick identification while consisting of only three characters. In addition, textures can be imported, processed, and assigned to corresponding materials automatically.

The naming convention in use is pretty straightforward:

<SVT/SDIM/UDIM index>.<MaterialName>_<"$UV"uvsetID>_<container>

This expands to, say, a texture for a jacket with albedo data: `Jacket_$uv0_col` (`1001.Jacket_$uv0_col` for SVT). All well and good.

Where it starts to get funky is when the shader allows for a couple of coexisting standards in the same containers. For this case let's say we store RGB data of albedo in R, G, and B channels of the container. This is what [col] contains, and at a glance one knows that right away. But if we store... idk, La*b, or HSV components in R, G, and B channels, using `col` for all of them becomes confusing, since now we can't determine what kind of data that texture holds. It can take multiple tries to set up the shader to correctly decode the supplied container (i.e. not switching colour sampling to HSV format from straight channel sampling), which is just bad UX.

Naturally, naming HSV contents [hsv] would make sense, but it doesn't scale: if you have layered albedo maps (dirt, splat, decals etc.), all of those also have to follow suit. This also doesn't work well with packed data such as PBR drivers. If there are other containers with multiple standards, it quickly gets out of hand.

One of the ideas was to use suffix-prefixing, but it kinda feels unwieldy: [col] would become [r.col], [l.col], or [h.col] for RGB, La*b, and HSV respectively. It is better than [col][hsv] in terms of readability. Still, this seems better than coming up with an entire new abbreviation for effectively the same container that stores different formats of data.

Full names aren't an option because of various packing layouts, as well as just obscenely long filenames. They're somewhat fine for offline rendering, when every single texture is stored separately, but for realtime we want to reduce TSU dispatches. Very rarely is a single-channel texture used. Additionally, 16 bit colours are seldom needed, with a good 99% falling into 5658 (gammatic) or 8888 (scalars) packs. Full names then would expand to something like 1001.Jacket_$uv0_MetalnessDiffusespecularAmbientshadowHeight. A yike right there.

Storing various standards in subfolders is the current workaround for heavy materials (~12 containers, 2 shared samplers), but it also hurts the UX, as instead of a one-level list of all related textures the user is now presented with various broken lists. This is arguably worse than suffix-prefixing. This also doesn't work for asset search, as at a glance one can't tell what standard the `col` contains until one clicks on said texture and views its full path.

Three-letter suffixes seem to be the easiest to read, too: _col, _tbn, _mro, _cdc, _dfv, _wdv, and so on. There's no overlap between single letters, and as such, no guesswork: last letter signifies the type of container: v = vectors, c = scalar storage (container), p = packed masks. Two preceding letters are just the abbreviation: wdv expands into wetness distortion vectors, for example, which under various modes samples from RG or AG. Other, more legacy things, fall into abbreviations or short-hands: col = colour, tbn = tangent-bitangent-normal (t-frame normal map). You get the idea.

This doesn't work with single-letter prefixes, as they overlap with various features: D can stand for diffuse, distortion, displacement. M can stand for metalness, some sort of a mask, mixing driver. R can stand for reflectance, roughness, retroreflectance. That's why it was ditched in the first place, plus it can't really account for 4-channel 4-tile packed maps (16 textures in one).

What would your approach be to this?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'd try to better define the question. What exactly is the UX problem?

Like specifically, who is interfacing with this system, what are they trying to do, and how does the current system cause them a problem?

Short of very specific issue to fix I'd just go with long names and write a user help guide that can be referenced. Nobody is going to understand a naming convention with bunch of shorthand no matter how logical it seems to the author. Just have to have the reference open to refer to.

• Riksvaard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    I'd try to better define the question. What exactly is the UX problem?

Like specifically, who is interfacing with this system, what are they trying to do, and how does the current system cause them a problem?

Short of very specific issue to fix I'd just go with long names and write a user help guide that can be referenced. Nobody is going to understand a naming convention with bunch of shorthand no matter how logical it seems to the author. Just have to have the reference open to refer to.

The UX issue is that the recognition of contained data, as well as automation of compression and import. Before multiple standards were introduced, this naming convention covered all the bases it had to.

The people interfacing with it is basically anyone from the art department to the systems department. Naturally, the people who interface with those files the most are the artists and the rendering engineers. With the introduction of a few new standards we can supply various different--if related--data formats that have to be sampled in different ways, incompatible with one another. Before this change, just by looking at a suffix one could identify the container standard, and set up the material with no issue. With multiple standards of data in one container the guesswork enters the scene. It's mostly the case with handling the assets made by someone else, but it's also an issue with coming back to older assets.

It is indeed a very specific issue, and that's why I'm unsure where to go from here. The thing is: we already have this shorthand system in place, along with the manuals; various tools export and pack maps into those containers (Mari, SD/SP, Blender). People are already familiar with it. However, supporting long names brings more issues than using shorthands: spelling, order, naming, readability. Introducing constraints in this case just sets it back to basically what suffixes do anyway.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    When it comes to shared projects, I think you'll find the path of least resistance will yield the best results; by using terms and language your teammates use. I think a naming convention should be simple enough to replicate at a glance. I'd advise to task ownership of the convention to a leader, at preproduction, and do not change it mid project. I would add, leniency should be allowed for mistakes, else they may upset your productivity.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may want to consider not storing metadata in file names at all. Instead use GUIDs and associate those to a database containing  all your metadata.

As you’ve found, trying to store data in filenames will inevitably get unwieldy at scale. So don’t.
    This solves your UX problem since you’re not letting users rename things manually (which always allows a lot of error) and you can present the metadata very cleanly.
  • Riksvaard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc said:
    When it comes to shared projects, I think you'll find the path of least resistance will yield the best results; by using terms and language your teammates use. I think a naming convention should be simple enough to replicate at a glance. I'd advise to task ownership of the convention to a leader, at preproduction, and do not change it mid project. I would add, leniency should be allowed for mistakes, else they may upset your productivity.

I'd agree with leniency, which is the case. Though it's a personal preference as well to stick to the conventions, at least when assembling final containers. That's how I end up training new hires, at least. Intermediate/test spaces aren't regulated, and we often use full names there, but the final containers end up following those conventions in most cases. Revisiting or updating anything that follows common conventions ends up being faster, as that's the expectation.

Unfortunately, I can't defer the task, since I'm the tech lead. And while I'd normally agree with preprod stage lock-in, tech-debt is also a thing; minimising it helps a lot in the long run. In this case I ended up having enough time to implement a much faster solver, as well as better compressibility. The whole conversion process can also be automated, but it's just the fact of a new type of data that needs to somehow be indicated. Even if it is deferred to next preprod, it has to happen, and there's a window of opportunity to integrate it now, rather than having to comb through a large chunk of assets yet to come.

You may want to consider not storing metadata in file names at all. Instead use GUIDs and associate those to a database containing  all your metadata.

As you’ve found, trying to store data in filenames will inevitably get unwieldy at scale. So don’t.
    This solves your UX problem since you’re not letting users rename things manually (which always allows a lot of error) and you can present the metadata very cleanly.

We actually do use this approach. Partially through Unity's AssetDB, partially through PAF DB. The main issue is that there's no unified DB that'd be easily integrated into every piece of software, unless I'm missing something relatively new. The only way to provide that metadata along with the files between isolated pieces of software is to either append it in the name, or to use some header/footer sections. Keeping those types in the name is a better one, since that type is instantly made known to the user. Can't really offload this to the user's FS either, unfortunately.

Tag-like system would be a godsend, but there isn't anything that can do it on a system level, let alone be networked.

We do allow users to rename files. It's just that anything that isn't falling into the naming convention isn't automatically set up. In the cases where a set of 40+ files are loaded up... you can see how automatic import would save one's sanity.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you seem to be doing quite fancy stuff for Unity

Did you consider bitfields, or number codes or even Ascii?

Ill share you some from my 2003 folder here

๑•ิ.•ั๑ ๑۩۞۩๑ ♬✿.。.:* ★ ☆ εїз℡❣·۰•●○●ōゃ ♥ ♡๑۩ﺴ ☜ ☞ ☎ ☏♡ ⊙◎ ☺ ☻✖╄ஐﻬ ► ◄ ▧ ▨ ♨ ◐ ◑ ↔ ↕ ▪ ▫ ☼ ♦ ▀ ▄ █▌ ▐░ ▒ ▬♦ ◊ ◦ ☼ ♠♣ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▩ ◘ ◙ ◈ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ の ☆ → あ ぃ £ ❤# @ & * ❁ ❀ ✿ ✾ ❃ ✺ ❇ ❈ ❊ ❉ ✱ ✲ ✩ ✫ ✬ ✭ ✮ ✰ ☆ ★ ✪ ¤ ☼ ☀ ☽ ☾
     ❤ ♡ ღ☻ ☺ ❂ ◕ ⊕ ☉ Θ o O ♋ ☯ ㊝ ⊙ ◎◑ ◐ ۰ • ● ▪ ▫ 。 ゚ ๑ ☜ ☞ ☂ ♨ ☎ ☏ × ÷ = ≠ ≒ ∞ ˇ ± √ ⊥▶ ▷ ◀ ◁ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ★ ☆ ☇ ☈ ☉ ☊ ☋ ☌ ☍ ☑ ☒☢ ☸ ☹ ☺ ☻ ☼ ☽ ☾ ♠ ♡ ♢ ♣ ♤ ♥ ♦ ♧ ♨ ♩ ✙ ✈ ✉ ✌ ✁♝ ♞♯♩♪♫♬♭♮ ☎ ☏ ☪ ♈ ♨ ₪ ™ ♂✿ ♥ の ↑ ↓ ← → ↖ ↗ ↙ ↘ ㊣ ◎
     ○ ● ⊕ ⊙ ○  △ ▲ ☆ ★ ◇ ◆ ■ □ ▽ ▼ § ¥ 〒 ¢ £ ※ ♀ ♂ &⁂ ℡ ↂ░ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▧ ✐✌✍✡✓✔✕✖ ♂ ♀ ♥ ♡ ☜ ☞ ☎ ☏ ⊙ ◎ ☺ ☻ ► ◄ ▧ ▨ ♨ ◐ ◑ ↔ ↕ ♥ ♡ ▪ ▫ ☼ ♦ ▀ ▄ █ ▌ ▐ ░ ▒ ▬ ♦ ◊ ◘ ◙ ◦ ☼ ♠ ♣ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▩ ◘ ◙ ◈ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ ✄☪☣☢☠░ ▒ ▬ ♦ ◊ ◦ ♠ ♣ ▣ ۰•●
     ❤ ●•۰► ◄ ▧ ▨ ♨ ◐ ◑ ↔ ↕ ▪ ▫ ☼ ♦♧♡♂♀♠♣♥❤☜☞☎☏⊙◎ ☺☻☼▧▨♨◐◑↔↕▪ ▒ ◊◦▣▤▥ ▦▩◘ ◈◇♬♪♩♭♪の★☆→あぃ£Ю〓§♤♥▶¤๑⊹⊱⋛⋌⋚⊰⊹ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ๑۩۞۩๑ ✲ ❈ ✿ ✲ ❈ ➹ ~.~ ◕‿- ❣ ✚ ✪ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦❉ ❥ ❦ ❧ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ ✄ ☪ ☣ ☢ ☠ ☭ღღღ ▶ ▷ ◀ ◁ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ★ ☆ ☇ ☈ ⊙ ☊ ☋ ☌
     ☍ⓛⓞⓥⓔ๑•ิ.•ั๑ ๑۩۞۩๑ ♬✿ ☉♡ ♢ ♣ ♤ ♥ ♦ ♧ ♨ ♩ ✙✈ ✉ ✌ ✁ ✎ ✐ ❀ ✰ ❁ ❤ ❥ ❦❧ ➳ ➽ εїз℡❣·۰•●○●ゃōゃ♥ ♡๑۩ﺴ ☜ ☞ ☎ ☏♡ ⊙◎ ☺ ☻✖╄ஐﻬ ► ◄ ▧ ▨ ♨ ◐ ◑ ↔ ↕ ▪ ▫ ☼ ♦ ▀ ▄ █▌ ▐░ ▒ ▬♦ ◊ ◦ ☼ ♠♣ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▩ ◘ ◙ ◈ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ の ☆ → あ ぃ £ ❤ ❁ ❀ ✿ ✾ ❃ ✺ ❇ 
    ❈ ❊ ❉ ✱ ✲ ✩ ✫ ✬ ✭ ✮ ✰ ☆ ★ ✪ ¤ ☼ ☀ ☽ ☾ ❤ ♡ ღ☻ ☺ ❂ ◕ ⊕ ☉ Θ o O ♋ ☯ ㊝ ⊙ ◎ ◑ ◐ ۰ • ● ▪ ▫ 。 ゚ ๑ ☜ ☞ ☂ ♨ ☎ ☏▶ ▷ ◀ ◁ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ★ ☆ ☇ ☈ ☉ ☊ ☋ ☌ ☍ ☑ ☒☢ ☸ ☹ ☺ ☻ ☼ ☽ ☾ ♠ ♝ ♞♯♩♪♫♬♭♮ ☎ ☏ ☪ ♈ ♨ ºº ₪ ¤ 큐 « »™ ♂✿ ♥ の ↑ ↓ ← → ↖ ↗ ↙ ↘ 
    ㊣ ◎ ○ ● ⊕ ⊙ ○  △ ▲ ☆ ★ ◇ ◆ ■ □ ▽ ▼ § ¥〒 ¢ £ ※ ♀ ♂ © ® ⁂ ℡ ↂ░ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▧ ✐✌✍✡✓✔✕✖ ♂ ♀ ♥ ♡ ☜ ☞ ☎ ☏ ⊙ ◎ ☺ ☻ ► ◄ ▧ ▨ ♨ ◐ ◑ ↔ ↕ ♥ ♡ ▪ ▫ ☼ ♦ ▀ ▄ █ ▌ ▐ ░ ▒ ▬ ♦ ◊ ◘ ◙ ◦ ☼ ♠ ♣ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▩ ◘ ◙ ◈ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ ✄☪☣☢☠㊊㊋㊌㊍㊎㊏ 
    ㊐㊑㊒㊓㊔㊕㊖㊗㊘㊜㊝㊞㊟㊠㊡㊢ ㊣㊤㊥㊦㊧㊨㊩㊪㊫㊬㊭㊮㊯㊰✗✘✚✪✣✤✥✦✧✩✫✬✭✮✯✰ ✱✲✳❃❂❁❀✿✾✽✼✻✺✹✸✷ ✶✵✴❄❅❆❇❈❉❊❋❖☀☂☁【】┱ ┲ ❣ ✪ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦ ❉ ❥ ❦ ❧ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ ✄ ☪ ☣ ☢ ☠ ☭ ♈ ➸ ✓ ✔ ✕ ✖ .: ◢ ◣ ◥ ◤ ▽ ▧ ▨ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▩ ◘ ◙ ▓ ▒ ░ ™ ℡ 凸
     の ๑۞๑ ๑۩ﺴ ﺴ۩๑ o(‧”’‧)o ❆ べò⊹⊱⋛⋋ ⋌⋚⊰⊹ ⓛⓞⓥⓔ ☀ ☼ ☜ ☞ ⊙® ◈ ♦ ◊ ◦ ◇ ◆ εїз❃❂❁❀✿✾✽✼✻✺✹✸✷ ✶✵✴❄❅❆❇❈❉ ❊❋❖❤❥❦❧↔ ↕ ▪ → ︷╅╊✿ (¯`•._.• •._.•´¯)(¯`•¸•´¯) ❤`•.¸¸.•´´¯`•• .¸¸.•´¯`•.•●•۰• ••.•´¯`•.•• ••.•´¯`•.••—¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤——(•·÷[ ]÷·•)— 
    ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩ ⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ⒶⒷⒸⒹⒺⒻ ⒼⒽⒾⒿⓀⓁ ⓂⓃⓄⓅⓆⓇ ⓈⓉⓊⓋⓌⓍ ⓎⓏ ⓐⓑⓒⓓⓔⓕ ⓖⓗⓘⓙⓚⓛ ⓜⓝⓞⓟⓠⓡ ⓢⓣⓤⓥⓦⓧ ⓨⓩ(⊙▂⊙✖ )(づ  ̄ ³ ̄)づ ( c//”-}{-*\\x)(-’๏_๏’-)(◐ o ◑ )(⊙…⊙ )๏[-ิ_•ิ]๏(•ิ_•ิ)\(•ิ_•ิ\) (/•ิ_•ิ)(︶︹︺)

Icons are maybe not the most stupid idea there is in combination with some letters
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    truisms:
    - No naming convention is perfect or future proof 
    - Every naming convention becomes worthless the moment you allow any flexibility
    - Nobody should ever name a file manually - especially artists

Variations on this pattern have served me well enough over the last 15-20 years for every asset type I've encountered
    <superset>_<description>_<index>_<usage>

if you need further namespacing/classification the file system comes with folders

It's worth noting that you can save a lot of confusion by not packing your textures manually. Packing them at build/ingestion time based on the material that references them or texture-set files that define the packing/compression allows you to use descriptive usage suffices and standardise on your export processes.