Home Technical Talk

(Zbrush) Zremesher VS (3ds Max) Retopology modifier...

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
(Zbrush) Zremesher vs (3ds Max) Retopology modifier... How do they compare... In the latest versions of the programs, which one is better...? Or are they equal...? One better for organic and one for hard surface models (for example)...?

Any comparison/idea/experience...?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retopology just works for me, with minimal intervention needed. It’s also nondestructive. 

On the other hand, zremesher allows you to use guide curves which is super helpful in some cases.

Why don’t you try it out and see for yourself? Use the same mesh in both. They’re both pretty easy systems to learn. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I tried in Max 2023  briefly  and  Zremesher2  in old Zbrush before MAxon  . I like Zbrush more .  It remeshes  to much  less poly model , more straight  edge flow on rectangular things.   But on too low poly  geo like one ready for games  Zbrush still does errors.  You need to  rotate edges somethimes.   In MAx I haven't figure out how to do really low poly re-mesh. It does pretty dense tessellation .

In general  Max does less errors with shading   but still does   when you remesh  something  from  pro Booleans.    With Zbrush you have to manually clean hard edges on cylinder sides  and set  your model to auto smooth . Then it works just fine for sub-div.

Left is from zbrush . It comes with fbx import  with open subdiv alredy . Notice how cylindrical shape is rounded  while it was  low poly cylinder originally . MAx  on the right, still does it  angled  and I have no idea if it can do fewer  edge  loops.

Grey one  Zbrush . Pink   is 3dmax  retopo.   Zbrush is  able to do much feweer loops but starts to do errors in crossing   same as  MAx.

But honestly  both allow to forget about  troubles of subdiv modelling  and Max smooth groups . Do evrything in CAD, by Booleans  or by voxel sculpting and  then turn  things back into perfectly sub-dividable models.

ps.  Well , 3dmax does have  poly count  setting. Oddly  I noticed it only a year after  :)
    Both things  do errors  on sharp objects like a sword blade . But again  Zbrush is a little bit less  looking like a small dents.