Home Career & Education

I need some advice

Hello polycount users

I'm a bit new in the world of 3d modelling in blender and there are some things that I'm finding difficult to understand when trying to make good models.

My questions are, what is midpoly modelling, how does it differ from other modelling?

If possible, could you give me some recommendations of channels or tutorials on the internet to learn about it?

Thanks

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    it's a buzzword
    it emerged from a specific authoring approach (generally for hard surface assets) made popular by the star citizen environment team that favours speed over basically any other consideration.  
    roughly this: instead of baking a unique normal map etc for your object, you model most of the information and apply tiling/trim textures and decals to get your higher frequency detail. 

it wasn't a new idea twenty years ago - we just called it modelling back then. 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter

Hi, this looks like a good visual reference for the difference between low, mid, and high poly modelling. A good way to think about this is anything that isn't important for the silhouette would be included and baked in the high poly, but if it effects the silhouette it should be modelled in the low poly models. Depending on the game and art style you are working with this can change, so I would recommend looking at other artists work and try to understand their process, what they did and why.  This looks like a good video explaining what mid poly modelling is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgitl_Gtd-I with character and prop examples, but if you google search mid poly modelling you can find other videos.