Home Adobe Substance

How to project a decal on a curved surface ? (Substance Painter)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Raphael_Bouch triangle
Hi polycounters !

My question is in the title, I have a potato bag model here I would like to stamp decals onto. I use Substance's Projection tool for it and it works perfectly on flat surfaces, but there are really noticeable skewing when trying to stamp something on a curved angle (the example is a bit extreme here but it shows perfectly the issue)

I tried perspective, orthographic, and UV sheet painting directly but it doesn't really help.

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Been a while since I've used Painter (license expired, putting off giving Adobe my money...) so this is maybe going to be unhelpful, but from what I recall you needed to change the projection mode from Tangent to something else - UV, possibly?

Painter will use the same projection mode regardless of if you're painting on the viewport or directly onto the texture, which I believe is why you're getting the same results.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The way I typically approach something like that is to paint it in UV space, and unwrap UV's the same way fabric would be sewed.

So for this bag each side is a big flat rectangle, then any decals can just be put into UV space and it would wrap same as you'd expect in real life and doesnt require any finicky placement hijinks.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Alex_J said:
    The way I typically approach something like that is to paint it in UV space, and unwrap UV's the same way fabric would be sewed.

So for this bag each side is a big flat rectangle, then any decals can just be put into UV space and it would wrap same as you'd expect in real life and doesnt require any finicky placement hijinks.
    I second this. Even if your UVS have some distortion, It will be okay.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    rexo12 said:
    Been a while since I've used Painter (license expired, putting off giving Adobe my money...) so this is maybe going to be unhelpful, but from what I recall you needed to change the projection mode from Tangent to something else - UV, possibly?

Painter will use the same projection mode regardless of if you're painting on the viewport or directly onto the texture, which I believe is why you're getting the same results.
    this is correct

• Raphael_Bouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael_Bouch triangle
    Thank you all for your answers !

I also did some searches and found out that "warping project" new tool in Painter. Do you guys think it's any good ?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try it out and let us know.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thank you all for your answers !

I also did some searches and found out that "warping project" new tool in Painter. Do you guys think it's any good ?

I tried couple times and  it felt inconvenient as hell.    My guess it's why  everyone suggest to use UV