Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Critique) Male head sculpt, looking for advice

Hi all! I'm trying to learn anatomy to get better results with my face sculpts.
This took about two hours, and my main target was to get the correct proportions/boney landmarks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I've been doing 3D for about 2 years and stick to hard surface usually.

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    cool, I was also mostly a hardsurface artist until just recently. I think a good way to improve is to study the skull, so if this is Zbrush you'll have access to Ryan Kingslien's female ecorche subtool. You can use that as reference. I would also recommend adding pupils to the eye, this will help with judging proportions. Good luck!
  • DNvL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! I'm using blender, but I've been looking at 3D skulls to study them more and trying to get the same shapes. Thanks for the help :) 
  • milestreet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start! You've got the right idea working on understanding the boney landmarks and proportions first. Agree with the above comment on studying the skull. It can also be good to look at simplified models/drawings of the head to get a better understanding of how the forms break down, things like the planes of the head and the Loomis method are really useful for this. 

Anatomy For Sculptors has some excellent 3D examples, here's  one from their artstation that shows the process from simple to complex: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Wm6zZv 

Enjoy the practice!  =)
  • Krom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krom polycounter lvl 13
    Two main problems are the eyes and the ears. The eyes should be way smaller.
    Eyeballs are 24mm in size. 
    Pupillary distance (PD) measures the distance between the centers of your pupils. The average adult's PD is between 54-74 mm 
  • DNvL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @milestreet thanks so much for the feedback and encouraging words, I appreciate it! On my current sculpt I tried to use the loomis method in 3D, and I'm having some good results! Thanks for the link too, that makes things a lot easier to see when sculpting! Appreciate your help! :)

Hey @ivilai I also appreciate your help and feedback! Thank you. I will defo look at making the eyes a lot smaller and also work on the ears, appreciate the sizes too. I find the ears a bit tricky to sculpt so I defo need to work on that too. Thanks so much for the help! :)
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Are you working from a reference? We can really only give so much useful feedback with nothing to compare it to. Human have so many variations, both subtle and obvious that with no basis to compare to it's hard to say what's an issue without being too general.
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    A solid study.
    Looks like you have a good understanding of the base forms of the head and just need to further hone your observational skills. Along with studying the skull/ecorche models, also study from real world photos of faces to help you make the connections between what you see on the skull and how they show up on a fully fleshed face.

For example: The angle of the cheekbones usually follow through closer to the top of the ear and you'll see a depression just above it around the temples. You've got it much too low.
    And the neck muscle that goes from the back of the ear to the sternum should be a continuous piece. On yours it's disconnected in the middle.

It's worth noting too that in addition to proportions and landmarks, you should also take care in observing angles.
    If you take the angle from the two outher corners of the eyelids, they should *mostly be flat with some degree of variablity. On your model they are fairly extreme (it looks more like a stylized piece than a realistic/naturalistic one).
    Other angles to watch out for are the jaw and slope of the forehead.

Something else I see a lot of when struggling to get a more naturalistic look is getting the curve in the "mask" of the face. It's easy to forget as we tend to block things in a very boxy and planar way (which is fine...like an asaro head). But even the asaro head accounts for this by providing a subtle angle of the cheeks. Viewing from the top and bottom angles from time to time as you sculpt can help with this. It's a bit of an odd angle to look at it, but often overlooked.

I hope this helps in some way.
    Also, he looks a bit like The Rock!
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Is this the rock ? If your only concern are proportions , moving eyes in the middle in relation to the height will solve most of the issues

• DNvL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! Thanks so much for all the replies :)
    Sorry for not replying to your comments individually. I really appreciate all your tips and tricks, and helpful comments. It's helped a lot!

I've decided to try and work on a personal project with all your tips with an Anakin Skywalker sculpt. This is out my comforts zone but I think I'm improving a wee bit.

Thanks again!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Good work.
    You can also try Daz 3D as a reference you can rotate around while you work. The program has excellent generic models you can learn from. It's also free. You can do part studies but I would practice doing whole figures in the beginning and try to nail  the foundation before creating characters.