Home Adobe Substance

Is there anything new and cool in Substance Painter?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
I use mostly Designer and old version of  3d coat to paint mask for it.   For some reason what I get in Painter is always a tad bit blurrier  and  less pixel-to-pixel accurate.  I tried to copy all my fx maps and 32 bit based  pixel  processors  that I did to work with pixel grid snapping  in Designer  but  it's  always a pain in your a... to make  something  that works just fine in Designer  be same in Painter. 
  Besides brushes in 3dcoat are sort of more  friendly.   I tried and couldn't recreate  "roll"  kind of  brushes in Painter.  like Zbrush roll or 3d coat one. when you have not a square  dab  but rather a very long stripe  that rolls  out along .        Also the brushes that scatter small random pictures are so  pain-in-your-a to do . Something you always forget , some index math  etc.    No pixel grid snapping is also makes it sort of blurrier .  In 3d coat it just selecting several brush dabs at once  in bush panel and for some uncertain reason always looks better.

Wonder  does Painter have anything new and cool in that regard?   Same curves  Designer got recently for example.       Sorry, I am too lazy to look for it myself :)

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     Actually  I found a cool new feature in Painter.  The vector curves .  Still way behind regular  vector soft  a texture  software  should be  IMO  but  a step in right direction for sure.    With help of Designer  it might be possible to do a proper "roll" brush probably.

ps  So far I tried and couldn't make it work :(   I mean a stripe image  rolling out  alone the vector  uv

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    someone posted something on here recently that suggested a roll brush could be made using the $time parameter from designer - I've not tried it myself though
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks poopipe.    This time parameter is totally uncharted land for me .   I thought it only works in  their substance "player" I never really used.