Home Technical Talk

What's the workflow to edit an imported 3D model and textures ?

Hi everyone

So I've been doing 3D for a while and I've always thought about doing mods for games but never actually tried it until now. Now what I wanna do is import assets from games to change them for both modding them back into the game and also having fun animating them and stuff, problem is I don't really know how to go about modifying imported assets.

For a more concrete example let's say I wanna do something with Ryu from Street Fighter 6 :

Here is Ryu's body model and texture that I imported from the game. Now since his legs are hidden behind his clothes in the game they removed them for optimization. My problem is how would I go about adding his lower body back without it getting messy ? Modeling them wouldn't be too hard but having topology that matches with the rest of the body might be annoying but my main fear is the texturing. I don't know how to go about the UVs, since I just have the raw image textures I can't re-unwrap the entire thing after adding the legs, and I also need to make a texture for the legs that match exactly to the existing skin texture so they blend well with the rest of the body. So yeah my question isn't very specific I'm just asking for general advice on how to go about this. I use blender, substance painter and photoshop. Thank you for any advice

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! You could model the missing geometry, create an additional UV set and unwrap, then transfer/bake textures from original to new UV set. Once baked, you would have to improvise/fill the texture for the missing parts of the body using the existing ones as reference. Could of course create a highpoly (I assume none exists) for the missing parts and combine the baked textures with the existing ones. The Data transfer modifier could help to transfer the original skinning to the new/modified geometry. Sounds like it will take some experimentation. I would certainly make sure to get the whole pipeline working - modified models working in game - before putting much time in modeling and texturing. Good luck!

Edit: Make sure to understand the texture packing and ensure textures are sampled correctly before baking. Shading in screenshot looks somewhat off.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Could also checkout modding resources as well, tons of walk through's posted by the community on this and other specific issues.