Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art of Romain Durand

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
RDurand greentooth
Hey, it's been ages since I was a bit active here, but with the recent events of Artstation going to shit, twitter burning and other social medias being a pain, I thought that here would be the best place to share some art and receive feedbacks/critiques. I'll try to update it everytime that I'm making something new, here's some of my latest stuff, was a lot into Zelda TOTK, so I made some handpainted PBR fan arts. 

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Romain these look great - maybe you could write a few lines about your process on these? Not looking for a tutorial, more about how you approach it from a high-level view :)
  • RDurand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDurand greentooth
    Hey @kio sure!
    Regarding the process, I'll start out by blocking things in Maya, I want to get the shapes 99% done in there before going further, this will also save me time later if I ever have to do hand retopology. (hello nanite) What I'm looking for during this step is :

- No 90° angles
    - No straight lines
    - Big/Medium/Small elements
    - Curve vs Counter curve shapes
    - Rest Areas / General composition rules

Instead of simply exporting a low poly, I'll export a subdivided high poly (meaning that I also need to do a pass on the edges.)

Then, I go in Zbrush, where I'll do multiple passes : 
    - Storytelling pass (damages, scratches, broken edges, etc etc)
    - Final shape polishing

Then I go and do my Retopo/UVs, trying to keep things as straight as I can without too much deformation, and as readable as possible, because I will handpaint in photoshop on the UVs directly (I personnaly don't like 3DCoat/Substance Painter for handpaint)
    Before going in the albedo painting, I'll also handpaint some parts of the normals on top of the bake, just to fix some stuff that I don't like about the bake itself or in order to add some sharper details in places, I even like to break the normals a bit so that the light gets some interesting play.

Final step would be the texturing process, where I start with simple flat colors that I layout on the UV shells, adding gradients with a first general gradient allowing to ground nicely the object, but also with local gradients for color variations I then go and start breaking the gradient 'perfectness' and adding color variations (I'm bad at explaining this, there's a lot of gut feelings) Finaly, some storytelling, rust, scratches, etc.

Roughness/Metalness, I grab my albedo as a base, and then play with it, overpaint a bit and then the final step is the integration in UE. 

I hope that this was helpfull!

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    ah yeah thanks - thats perfect actually, because I wasn't sure how much highpoly etc is even part of this :)  - thanks for the writeup!