Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HN vs WN

Hi!

How do you guys fix conflicts between Weighted Normal and Harden Normals?

I find myself in this situation everytime I have to join all of the pieces of one object together. While modeling and looking for shading issues, sometimes WN does the trick, sometimes HN. The problem is that I have to join everything and eventually I have to choose between one or the other. If I go with WN, the parts that have HN are messed up and viceversa.

Applying the bevel or the weihgted normal is not a solution for me because I want to have access to them if I ever want to go back and change something.

How should I proceed in these cases? Thanks

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Can you mention what 3D program you're using? I'm not exactly clear on the issue, and I'm wondering if some of these things are the names of software specific tools.

In Maya, for instance, your model uses weighted normals by default, and you can harden or soften specific edges, as well-- they aren't mutually exclusive, they're just ways to define how a (usually) lower poly model is displayed/thought-of.

I'm guessing maybe these are names of modifiers, or something, in your program?
  • marmosie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, yes, sorry, I thought I posted this in the Blender forum. I don't know how my message got here. And I see no way of removing it.

I'm modeling in Blender. WeightedNormal is a modifier and Harden Normals are found inside the settings of the bevel modifier. You can't use both at the same time.