Home Marmoset

Project refraction onto diffuse?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TannedBatman polycounter lvl 6
Here I have a shape inside another with refraction on, would it be possible to project this onto just the cube with the complete lighting or albedo export map?

I get a red cube if I use both shapes for the high poly and just the outer for the low

Or just the inner cube with weird projection (tried skew fix) and nothing from the outer one

I would basically just like to fake the appearance of transparent plastic like how some old gameboys look with only using diffuse and normal map maybe if it helps. Sorry if it seems like I havent tried much im just struggling to find much about this as it seems weirdly specific, which it is I guess. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is not currently possible. Refraction is a view/dependent effect and changes as the camera position moves, so it may not be possible to add something like this in the future.

Is there a particular reason you can't create the effect with a refractive material? Most game engines and renderers support these types of materials.
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TannedBatman polycounter lvl 6
    This is not currently possible. Refraction is a view/dependent effect and changes as the camera position moves, so it may not be possible to add something like this in the future.

Is there a particular reason you can't create the effect with a refractive material? Most game engines and renderers support these types of materials.
    Sorry for late reply, I figured I could just render the image and then project it in substance, it was just for a non pbr experiment.