Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Kindred - Unreal Engine 5 Environment (Looking for feedback)

Hi hi! First time posting here!
I'm looking for feedback on a current work-in-progress project, I'm trying to push this scene as far as I can.
The goal is to create a piece that highlights particularly my lighting, environment, and audio skills as a generalist. I'm really focusing on trying to convey the atmosphere and mood of this place, trying to make it feel immersive.

The idea for this particular shot is to be the final shot of a short 15-second-ish animation. I'd like to show a first-person view of a character in distress with an oil lantern in a forest in the middle of a storm, running from something unknown, and ending up at this vista.

The scene is based on a piece by Grady Frederick

A video of the first draft of my real-time audio and lightning system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4QXRW6-os

The main things that are missing still are some silhouettes in the rain of a forest on the bottom left side, and the interiors behind the windows could use some love still. The audio definitely needs more work done on it too. One thing I've been struggling with is brightening up the scene (in particular the roofs) a bit without making it feel flat.

I'm looking for feedback/critiques and ideas that I could apply to push this scene further.

Replies

• landervr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the first-person arms I'm making for this project!
    The material still needs more work, and I'll be adding grime and dirt to these arms still. Right now they're a bit high poly for a game setting, but I'm not too set on optimisation, I'm more focused on visual fidelity. I'll definitely try to create a version with a lower triangle count still though.

Right now it's rigged using the UE mannequin skeleton, so I can use the control rig in Unreal, but I'm considering setting it up with the first-person arms rig instead, not entirely sure what direction I'll choose.

Here's a test animation, I'm pretty happy with the feel of the skin/folds/tendons.

Render in Blender.

• landervr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Result inside Unreal Engine, next up creating a decent control rig :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtVLmLFQMA