Home Technical Talk

Jump in to the retopo

Hi everyone!!
I'm new here, first off let me thank you for the work you do here, you're awesome guys!
Second, my question:
I did the next model in Zbrush, the goal is go for a game character for my first reel. I would like to ask you about the retopology. 
Which one is the right way?
1º Model the character full of details in Zbrush, export for retopo and UVsm, Retopology and UVs in Maya, go back Zbrush to bake all the details in the normal maps, paint it in substance and render in Marmoset.
2º Model the character in Zbrush with some details, export for retopo and UVs,  Retopology and UVs in Maya, go back Zbrush, finish all the sculpts details, bake all the details in normal maps, paint it in substance and render in Marmoset.
Thank you  :)

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Not a character artist, but generally speaking how you retopo is up to you, as long as its riggable at the end. DO NOT bake normal maps in Zbrush - its tangent space is different.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    like mentioned, marmoset is where you should do the baking, not zbrush.

no need to retopo mid sculpt unless you are are fighting topology - but zbrush has dynamesh, sculptris pro, remesher to handle those cases.

so keep it simple as possible.
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Assuming you mean to bake in a traditional method (between 2 meshes: high and low) you can't do either, as you can't bake between different meshes in zbrush...only high res detail into lower subdivision level of the same mesh.

Since your rendering in marmoset anyway, just bake in there.
  • Axxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all your repplys
  • Axxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin said:
    Not a character artist, but generally speaking how you retopo is up to you, as long as its riggable at the end. DO NOT bake normal maps in Zbrush - its tangent space is different.
    Ok, I'll not bake normals in Zbrush. Thank you @Benjammin
    Alex_J said:
    like mentioned, marmoset is where you should do the baking, not zbrush.

no need to retopo mid sculpt unless you are are fighting topology - but zbrush has dynamesh, sculptris pro, remesher to handle those cases.

so keep it simple as possible.
    hahaha ok ok I got it, never ever bake in Z :)
    There are some objects on the model that I'll not retopo, just Zremesher will be enough, but for the mean character, there are some areas like head, shoulders,  or wrist that I guess need more love on it. 
    I'm not gonna rig it or animate, it is just for my demoreel, but I like to show that I could be animated, I guess is important to get a job (not looking for AAA Games job xD just indie/low budget games)
    pxgeek said:
    Assuming you mean to bake in a traditional method (between 2 meshes: high and low) you can't do either, as you can't bake between different meshes in zbrush...only high res detail into lower subdivision level of the same mesh.

Since your rendering in marmoset anyway, just bake in there.
    YEEEEs,that's true!! Thank you I'll do it in marmoset!
  • Axxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have any Actual youtube Recomended tutorial for the whole progress? From Zbrush high poly sculpt til full finished low poly textured ready game character. (doesn't have to by top noch character :) )
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a bunch of resources for this process on our wiki. 
  • Axxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a bunch of resources for this process on our wiki. 
    thank you! I'll check it!
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    For me option 2 is the most versatile ,require less clean up and provides optimized model for high frequency details
     "some details" should mean that you are set on the design and there wont be any major changes 

• Axxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me option 2 is the most versatile ,require less clean up and provides optimized model for high frequency details
     "some details" should mean that you are set on the design and there wont be any major changes 

Thanks man! Finally I went for the first option and I changed the Baking process, instead in Marmoset I'll do it in Substance Painter,  It hides the seams perfectly :)