Home Technical Talk

Stretch photo across polygon

I have zero 3D modeling knowledge so please be patient.

i have made 2D polygon in photoshop, how can i import it in 3D modeling program to avoid recreating it from scratch?

Now i have photo i need to fit inside that polygon.

So it looks like this

And finally i need to export this re-shaped photo in highest possible quality.

Ideally i need to import-export 16Bit TIF images.

Please advice what 3D editing software i can use for this?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you please describe why you need this transform? It looks like you have already achieved this. 

Perhaps maybe you need to distort the photo from the  original rectilinear shape, to the new curved shape? 

Any 3d program which supports morph targets or shape keys (same thing) will do this.
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    ..or.. just use a pure rectangular UV grid mesh and distort it as your liking (maybe using any subdiv modifier)..  the texture will distort accordingly..
    (no need to make a 2D polygon in PS in the first place..).. like so..
  • PhotoPractic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps maybe you need to distort the photo from the  original rectilinear shape, to the new curved shape?
    Exactly what i need to distort photo from original to curved shape, but i want the shape to be 2D surface, not 3D (sphere or cylinder).

I remember wanting to do this for a long time and never had tools in Photoshop to achieve this, right now i just want to try if i can get something cool out of it.

Any 3d program which supports morph targets or shape keys (same thing) will do this.
    That's a long shot, could you provide me with 2-3 choices so i could get trial and see, i have very old PC with built in HD2000 video card so i don't want to install this resource hungry monsters like 3DS Max and Maya. Maybe something like MIlkshake 3d?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try out GiMP it has distortion transforms of various types, and it's free.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    PhotoPractic said:
    That's a long shot, could you provide me with 2-3 choices so i could get trial and see, i have very old PC with built in HD2000 video card so i don't want to install this resource hungry monsters like 3DS Max and Maya. Maybe something like MIlkshake 3d?
    If you're sold on trying it in 3D, Blender is free and fairly light. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    btw you have that ability in photoshop. you can use liquify with a large grid, big and soft brush and save the grid after using it. this way you can reuse the same deformation on whatever you wanna deform.

• PhotoPractic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

okidoki said:
    ..or.. just use a pure rectangular UV grid mesh and distort it as your liking (maybe using any subdiv modifier)..  the texture will distort accordingly..
    (no need to make a 2D polygon in PS in the first place..).. like so..
    Issue with this approach is that i have to create new shape for every image, what if i make a shape and if i want to change image that inside the shape there is no way to do it, but try to reproduce same shape with new image from scratch.
    I need 3d Model to fast swap different images and have them stretch automatically to existing shape.

Neox said:
    btw you have that ability in photoshop. you can use liquify with a large grid, big and soft brush and save the grid after using it. this way you can reuse the same deformation on whatever you wanna deform.

Sounds good, but what if i already have many shapes i want to use, there is no way to reuse them again using this method, however with 3d editor i can load them to create polygon and add texture to it.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop’s Save Mesh / Load Mesh lets you reuse the same distortion with different images.
  • PhotoPractic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up installing Maya 2023 Trial, it started on my machine. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to achieve what i described earlier?
    Photoshop’s Save Mesh / Load Mesh lets you reuse the same distortion with different images.
    Not working with existing mesh cant import it to Liquify after i open image mesh is unaffected, see yellow grid.

I would have to create a new one, also i want them geometrically perfect like with path tool in Photoshop, Liquify can't offer this flexibility.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have zero 3D experience, then this is going to be a long frustrating process for you. 3D software is complicated. Even simple actions like this will require a knowledge of many aspects of the software which seem unrelated to your task.

You may prefer to hire a freelance artist to create this for you. 
  • PhotoPractic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have zero 3D experience, then this is going to be a long frustrating process for you. 3D software is complicated. Even simple actions like this will require a knowledge of many aspects of the software which seem unrelated to your task.

You may prefer to hire a freelance artist to create this for you. 

I am pretty certain i want to learn this myself, could you link a few videos or articles on how this can be done in Maya?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What have you searched for already? 

I would suggest searching for “Maya UVs“ and “Maya deformers”.