Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Environment in Unreal Eninge 4

I made this environment in Unreal Engine 4 using ZBrush, Autodesk Maya and Substance Painter, it was my first time doing a 3D environment, the castle was made using modular parts.
Leave your thoughts!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ob6akJ

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    hmm, when replicating/duplicating i always think about repetition observation, so does it look repeated or just copy/pasta, if it does i'd try anything and everything to break that up at the moment i can see this piece's repetition. 

The "shingles" could've been made with a few or more objects that are similar but could possibly be rotated and have different cuts, dirts, grimes, color, fading, so you would say make 4 shingles find out how to spread that across the top in the design you want and have them rotate every other one or manually do it.  (or get creative and try to make 8 shingles out of 4 so alternative side is useful also, those could be faded bland colorless or whatever and just rotate flip them where needed.)  Lots more work but end results would be worth it and if you do not want them all separated objects just remake the low to be collapsed down to one object.

Id figure if you are going to have so many of the same thing it would work out and help break all that up.  (its what i'd do) Then after one is compiled together nice and neatly, you could remove one or two tilt others and rotate the entire towers so they all look original and different and that would've helped.  (i do, do this with my characters, like the K.Arthur model is duplicated rotated, pauldrons+) So like even the textures you build could be rotated and or flipped, its useful to try to "reuse" all you can.(obviously not normal flipping to be clear.)

That is what i got for now but generally this entire scene could've been done like this, hope it helps. Check out default cube on youtube if you use blender (at all) and try to use those repeating "guides" with your other applications.  This c&c is for everyone who does anything similar, if you do not already do this.