Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to match 3D objects with 2D images?

node
Offline / Send Message
DrBombs node
I am aware of specific apps that are able to match based on the background, like fSpy, the problem is the images that I have as reference doesn't have backgrounds, they are PNGs with complete transparente background, any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Do you have an example? Objects (especially ones that can be broken down into primitive shapes) have perspective/vanishing points too. Else you have to eyeball. I think when translating 2D designs into 3D, one should focus on capturing the "essence", so the 3D model stands on its own and doesn't fall apart from certain angles.
  • DrBombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrBombs node
    Fabi_G said:
    Do you have an example? Objects (especially ones that can be broken down into primitive shapes) have vanishing points too. Else you have to eyeball. I think when translating 2D designs into 3D, one should focus on capturing the "essence", so the 3D model stands on its own and doesn't fall apart from certain angles.
    Yes I do, here is a few: 

• DrBombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrBombs node
    I have tons of references, and I am trying to build them using multiple camera views, at the moment I am using 4 cameras with different images for each piece, and trying to match all of them with my 3D object
  • DrBombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrBombs node
    Lastly, to give you a better understanding: 
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok, in case of characters, I would block out the underlying body/shape with focus on the proportions and that it works from all angles, then use it as a reference for the geometry. I think sometimes, when modelling piece by piece, the character as a whole might get lost, like not seeing the forest for all the trees.

Another option, if you want a reference that's faithful to the model, could attempt to scan it using photogrammetry. Might be a bit tricky with the smooth surface, but could apply some temporary matte coating?
  • DrBombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrBombs node
    Fabi_G said:
    Ah ok, in case of characters, I would block out the underlying body/shape with focus on the proportions and that it works from all angles, then use it as a reference for the geometry. I think sometimes, when modelling piece by piece, the character as a whole might get lost, like not seeing the forest for all the trees.

Another option, if you want a reference that's faithful to the model, could attempt to scan it using photogrammetry. Might be a bit tricky with the smooth surface, but could apply some temporary matte coating?
    I've never done photogrammetry before, I found Meshroom would you suggest this one? And said that what you mean with smooth surface  and apply temporary matte coating?
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Meshroom too, mainly to process image sets of statues, nature or buildings parts (all very not shiny). Here is an article that goes over the scanning of shiny object with photogrammetry. Iirc some comment below a yt video recommended baby powder for such surfaces. Maybe it just works as is. Possibly this approach is overkill and too much of a diversion from the actual task, especially without prior knowledge, but an interesting experiment still :D