Home Technical Talk

Correct density amount for subd ?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Raphael_Bouch triangle
Hey there, I am trying to reproduce a F-16 Flight Stick.
While the main shape is looking accurate I had to apply subdivision 2 times to add (boolean) that extra detail part (in yellow)Is it actually a proper density to boolean such detail with minimum artifact or could have I used way less polys at the cost of distortion ?

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    The correct density is; as many polygons as you need for it to look good.

I would not have attached that piece at all. In that situation you won't notice the difference between two pieces of geometry and one.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    You are missing a ton of other much more fundemental shapes to that part that probably should have been modelled before you even think of collapsing to that leve of subD. For a start the part is broken by substantial panel lines so that might be a good place to compartmentalize that sections geometry off, and there is that curve/skirt shape at the bottom of that section which imo should be addressed at a much lot lower res than what is shown.

The part you are adding looks to be at an angle coming in from the side a bit more too, which will make the way you have to run the loops pretty awkward as well as tight. I would certainly be tempted to not cut it into the mesh. If I were, it would be much later down the line after I have much more of the stick modelled out, particularly all the more organic forms and all the section panel line breaks
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    @Raphael_Bouch : review this entire thread till you find a similar model and read the info it will help : Frank Polygon