Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Medieval Punisher Character Art

vispergon
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
vispergon polycounter lvl 3
Returning to a character model I was working on last summer with a Vertex School class - based on the concept by Nick Acuna.

My initial sculpt was created from scratch however since then I have been learning a lot about base meshes and general workflow so I am having to backtrack a bit to fix issues within the face, as well as just improving the anatomy overall. I'm going to be using it as a hair card practice piece before returning to work on the full HP as the more I look at it the more I see that I need to improve or redo.

Critique is welcomed.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work!
    The narrative of the figure doesn't really scream punisher. The face and physique are more understated hero, like the Witcher perhaps. Probably too late now, but as you have total control over the appearance of your actor, why not try stretch it a little. Perhaps more brutal, more feral with the costume as well as the figure. The rest pose could have the abdomen tilted slightly back and the pelvis a bit forward, toes pointing outward giving your figure as more grounded look. the hands/arms in a more 'A' pose to allow you room to bake and weightthe final. You can straighten the feet on the lowpoly before rigging.
  • vispergon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga
    thanks for the feedback! I will definitely try to push more for the 'punisher' look.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    The concept is basically a realistic gritty medieval warrior with fur pauldrons and a painted on skull symbol. How close are you sticking to the concept, or how much are you going for the medieval Frank Castle look versus some guy turned punisher look?

The main defining feature is the skull symbol because it's not much else about the punisher beyond maybe the black shirt and usually jeans and a coat. However, the skull you've chosen is both too modern day iconic, and it's attached on top instead of painted on. If you want to really sell medieval, and break from the concept more, try turning the skull into a cruder medieval drawing style skull.
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    That crudely stitched (embroidered?) skull from his witcher-esque concept looks pretty neat!
  • vispergon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vertrucio
    thanks for the suggestions, I took a look back at the concepts and Nick actually has multiple variations on the design - I should have specified earlier!
    Medieval Punisher - light armor outfits and weapons
    This is the version I have been basing my model off of, mainly to reduce the number of new things I was going to be learning to create it (in my eyes at least). I now look back and half wish I went with the other because it's more readable and has a back view :sweat_smile: I think I will still stick with staying close to this concept however I do like the idea of having the painted on skull like Nick's other version for increased contrast... Will have to be something else to experiment with.