Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Working on my portfolio looking for feedback.

GGGL
node
Offline / Send Message
GGGL node
Hello, I'm currently working on my first portfolio for a job in the gaming industry, any feedback for the models I upload will be greatly appreciated along with any tips on how I should set up my portfolio, Thank you. 

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    For setting up your portfolio, I think Artstation is still the way to go. Even with all of the stuff around AI it's still a convenient way to find people and is simply designed with art at the forefront. When myself and others get job applicants, we often go straight to Artstation and type in a person's name.

Your models look pretty good to me, however I would like to see breakdowns. I want to see wire frames, I want to know if they are game res or if they are high poly models.
    I think your material definition and textures could use some work, they all feel very flat at the moment. I would like to see the textures and UV layout too.
    The flatness could be a lighting issue as well, a 3 point lighting setup works really well for just about everything. Good lighting can really show off your materials, while bad lighting can flatten out the materials.
    When you're new to the industry, you have to prove that you know all of the parts of the process that come with asset creation. Show breakdowns of your highpoly, low poly, textures and UVs. I think overall what you have is very solid and if you show more of your work, you can be in a good position.

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    One issue I'm seeing across almost all your models is something that was pointed out to me: Break up the generated edge wear.

For example on your revolver, every single edge of the metal has a uniform lighter grey wear on it. Same for most of your other metal. In a few places it's broken up but overall the same.

Then there's the lighting for your portfolio, it could use some work as it's all pretty flat. So flat that I can't tell if your textures lack the detail for interesting specular highlights, or your lighting just isn't picking out cool specular highlights.
  • nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nexussim polygon
    I agree with both on the lighting comments. Keep up the great work :)
  • GGGL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGGL node
    Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated, I worked on the breakdowns and uploaded them to Artstation, here is the link.
    https://g-3l.artstation.com/
  • GGGL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGGL node
    I'm also working on the lighting and will update those when I'm done with the rendering, thank you all, I really appreciate the feedback.
  • GGGL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGGL node
    Also if anyone can recommend a good go-to lighting setup in Blender that really brings out model details would be really appreciated.
  • GGGL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGGL node
    I think the lighting problem comes from the fact that I'm using global illumination to light the models, I will try a simple 3-point lighting and check the difference.
  • sketchariffic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a question about the bullets - are they really flat on both ends? I've shot pistols and rifles before (only a few times) but it struck me as odd that it was a flat cylinder on both ends of the chamber. Also, RE: lighting and shading, I agree with above comments and also wonder if you could get more ambient occlusion in either in the final render in UE5 or via some of the AO layers in Substance Painter. Keep being awesome! 
  • pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    GGGL said:
    Also if anyone can recommend a good go-to lighting setup in Blender that really brings out model details would be really appreciated.
    Using free studio HDRIs of poly haven may help you as a quick solution: https://polyhaven.com/hdris
    If you want to setup your own studio environment there is the basics of 3 point lighting: https://careereducation.rochester.edu/blog/2022/08/15/how-to-master-the-three-point-lighting-setup-and-lighting-techniques/

Changing the powers or temperatures of your lights in this diagram can create the occlusions and edge highlights you wanna have.