Home Unreal Engine

Spawned Decal Stretching Reduction? (Possible paid Commission)

I’m working on a FPS game where I need to spawn decal on the wall behind an enemy I shot after the bullet went through the enemy, the problem is, when the decal get passed some worldstatic objects, it projects long stretched lines on them along the way it goes.
I wonder is there a way to make the decal “wrap” around the world objects, instead of “cutting” through them? and if it’s doable, what should I be looking at?
Any hints or tips?  I'm looking for some in-depth steps the best as I'm needing this features in ergent.
If you'd like to create a material for me please contact at guesscuiyuan@gmail.com,  we shall discuss the price for it too.   
Many thanks! 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if it's a projected decal there's not much you can do except spawn it as close as possible to the surface you want it to project on to.
    it's possible to prevent decals casting on specific materials  by setting a material property. 
    That's probably your best option if you need something quick

The only way to get a decal to conform to a surface is to generate a mesh and project it onto the surface you want it to stick to. This is possible in ue5 blueprint but I would expect it to be quite slow compared to doing it in c++. 
    perhaps there's a plugin on the marketplace that does this though? 

• MadCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the reply,  I've played around a bit with normals and worldspace UV and I've found a possible workaround   :)