Home Career & Education

The best job site to find an entry level position?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
jeffxfcVA triangle
I've been mostly relying on Indeed, Linkedin, Gamejobs.work, and WorkWithIndies for job applications. Unfortunately, all of them were/are duds. I was wondering if there's a better site that caters to entry-level job seekers.

Replies

• nOLpte8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nOLpte8 triangle
    Aside from general googling or manually looking up Indvidual studio websites for job openings, the only other site I can think of is Artstation (go to the career section).

That being said "entry level" and video game job is a bit of a mismatch unless we are okay with defining entry level as "3-5 years of professional experience".  I think the only time I've seen "real" entry level jobs are when a studio(s) post an internship. Outside of internship postings nearly every "entry level" position in gaming is almost always "2-3 years of professional experience" or "3-5 years of professional experience". 
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    So, the only chance I really have is through networking?
  • nOLpte8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nOLpte8 triangle
    I wouldn't say its "the only chance" but networking is an incredibly powerful tool in the job hunt (whether you are going after a game job or non game job). 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Word to the wise:
    Regardless of if you get hired or not, always keep improving as an artist. There are a lot of resources available online for free to achieve this, and all you need to learn is how to ask the right questions.

Honestly I would apply anyway, even to senior positions. You can skip applying to lead positions.
    The logic behind this is that when it comes to what is posted, you're dealing with,
    1. Your profile is added to their database. (it took 2 years for a company to get back to me, since the position I did the art test was no longer available at the time)
    2. The position is expired/does not exist/posted for reasons other than hiring asap. (this happens very often, the reasons may be as trivial as the government expects a company to post roles since they actively fund them and as extreme as some companies putting out roles because they want to influence their stock price. Again applying anyway leads to point 1)
    3. There are a variety of applicants and the company/HR requirements change constantly (They may want a senior but have budgeted for a mid-level so decide on an entry level to save costs)
    4. The position expires tomorrow and you won't see this coming (though it still stays up for the next 6 months. Not saying company is incompetant, just that since the position requirements don't really change, some company just leave it there, so apply anyway)
    5. The entire company is about to liquidate, the position is available to the last minute and HR only comes to know day of though some probably knew a few weeks ago (I've seen this happen to 2 studios that were actively hiring until they self destructed)

When it comes to website, use linkedin and glassdoor. Indeed is good too, but linkedin is king since once you're done applying connect with the recruiter.
    Even if an artist at the company you're applying doesn't accept a connection request, HR usually always will.
    HR may not respond to personal messages though but you can send them a message immediatley after applying and maybe a week or two after applying.
    If messaging HR/recruiter after applying, don't just paste your cover letter, ask relevant questions,
    "maybe say I'm really interested in this position and would like more information"

How networking helps.
    ------------------------------
    - it helps if you do it with the intent of building relationships. This doesn't mean you ask for portfolio reviews or message them with constant portfolio updates, it means that when you make an update on linkedin, by having them among your connections you're increasing visibility.
    - Usually unless you've worked with them they may not refer you.
    - The helpful ones will always connect with you on linkedin.
    - There's a difference between networking on linkedin and going to studio open houses, networking at video game networking events, keeping in touch with your peers and art community. (My first job in the game industry was through a lead I met at a Japanese food festival I was volunteering at)
    - You develop your social persona and learn to work with people. This one factor is far stronger than your portfolio when it comes to getting work/keeping your job.
    - Many companies now provide fully remote roles, so you do have more opportunity. 

What you can do to better your odds
    ------------------------------------------------
    - Network without the intent to get a job out of it. Go to events and make friends. Even host events if you can.
    - Volunteer where you can, you never know who you'll meet.
    - Improving as an artist and keeping up to date with new techniques will always be a positive.
    - You do the above knowing that what you'll do on the job may not use your talent.
    - You can always join the industry through entry level roles that are easier to acquire than art roles such as QA
    - While posting on artstation helps, post on linkedin and here on polycount where you can get feedback. Also there is too much AI crap on artstation so see posting on it as a formality. When ready to apply request a portfolio review for work and presentation.
    - Theres a difference in what is accepted for game dev and for film. While arstation portfolio works for game dev, people in animation and film want to see demoreels, this is something that really needs to change. 
    - A lot of the work is outsourced, leaving most senior positions in charge of outsource asset management. In this case I would look for opportunities in outsourcing partners to gain work experience. (eg. Virtuous)

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    would you consider Reddit do be a good resource for network or for job hunting?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    social media isn't very good for getting to know people and making friends.

probably have better luck looking into local organizations like IGDA, going to conventions, etc. Actually meet people, make friends. Jobs are almost always got by somebody you know who knows somebody. I think there was even some study done that suggested such though I can't remember where I saw that...

...actually, chatgpt has jogged my memory:
    was there a study done that indicated that jobs usually come from periphery associates rather than close friends and ascquaintances?

Yes, there has been research conducted on the topic of job referrals and the relationships through which job opportunities are typically obtained. The concept you're referring to is known as "the strength of weak ties," which was popularized by sociologist Mark Granovetter in his seminal paper titled "The Strength of Weak Ties" published in 1973...

that said, if you are on reddit anyways it never hurts to put your shit out there of course. it cost nothing. some people even met their spouse on places like that so anything is possible.
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    I wish I could go to a local organization for the games or movie industry, but unfortunately, Richmond is not that place.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Are you sure?

that's also only a few hours from DC / Baltimore areas.

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    Yikes! I definitely should have looked more. I would love to attend that event since it's hosted at my local college.