Home Career & Education

Becoming a Concept Artist in 6 Months, possible? We'll see.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone! 
I'm Daniela Rivera, a digital artist looking to break into de Video Games Industry. I am 23, soon 24 years old and I feel stuck in my skills and my artistic range of work. I've enjoyed what I've done so far (comics, book covers, book's illustrations, and character design) but I need more. I want to do more and be better at telling stories through my work, building worlds, and being part of something bigger than people can enjoy. 

So I set myself on a new life-changing path; I will become a world builder (sounds dramatic and I love it), and to do that I create a study/work plan for the next six months. And it may be too ambitious to want to achieve an industry entry level at that time, but one can never know at least one try. Six months time is giving me a time parameter and puts me under a certain kind of pressure at setting goals, tasks, and topics to learn each week or month. 

I'm currently studying for a Master's Degree in management which occupies a great part of my day and I still work as an illustrator and comic artist, but I think that I shall find space in my day to do what I love and what will take me to the place I want to be. It won't be easy so I decided to share my goals to help me achieve them.

So I wanted to share this plan with the community to hear your thoughts, feedback, and tips for this new adventure. Is it too crazy? Maybe. Will the IA take over the world before the six months even end? Probably. 

24 weeks Intensive Concept Art Program

(Side note: This program is based on my intermediate level of art skills and a background in 3D software)
Intended hours of work: 2-4 daily / 12 - 24 weekly. 

Week 1 - 4: Back to Fundamentals (4 weeks)

• Human Anatomy/Age/Sex Features/BodyType/Body Mechanics + Animal Anatomy/Body Mechanics + Perspective/Objects and Humans 

Week 5 - 6: Color and Painting Fundamentals (2 weeks)

•  Color + Value + Light + Image Composition + Painting Studies 

Week 7 - 12: Character Design (6 weeks)

• Design Fundamentals + Characters thumbnails/Silhouette/Proportions +  Archetypes + Face Variations/Ethnicity + Clothes/Costume Variations  + Armors + Creature Design + Character Storytelling/Tattoos/Hair Style/Scars/Personal Objects + Weapons + Powers FX and Functionality Thumbnails 

Week 13 - 16: Object Design (4 weeks)

• Buildings + Props + Vehicles + Advanced Weapons + Plants + Visual Language of the world 

Week 17 - 24: Environment Design & Painting (8 weeks)

• Thumbnailing + Environment Composition/Mood + 3D Paintover/Blender,SketchUp,Unreal Manage + Speed Painting + Photobashing + Keyart 

Extra: Storyboarding and Sequences and Paneling

This is my current portfolio in case you want to check on my current level: https://www.artstation.com/danycomics

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount! 

I think your portfolio shows you’re off to a great start. Super ambitious plans. All these topics are lifelong efforts, with periodic bouts of study. But it’s good to set goals, and focus on specific things.

I would suggest making a Topic in 2D Showcase, and post your work as you go, asking for feedback. 

There are some skilled practitioners here willing to provide periodic feedback to those who show they’re putting the work in. 

I’ve seen it again and again. The more you share regularly, the more you’re likely to gain from community input. 

Good luck, and keep us updated!
  • Dany_Rivera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount! 

I think your portfolio shows you’re off to a great start. Super ambitious plans. All these topics are lifelong efforts, with periodic bouts of study. But it’s good to set goals, and focus on specific things.

I would suggest making a Topic in 2D Showcase, and post your work as you go, asking for feedback. 

There are some skilled practitioners here willing to provide periodic feedback to those who show they’re putting the work in. 

I’ve seen it again and again. The more you share regularly, the more you’re likely to gain from community input. 

Good luck, and keep us updated!
    Thank you, Eric! 

I will follow your advice! I will start sharing the exercises and work once I start the program, I'm super excited! I appreciate the tips!
  • nOLpte8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nOLpte8 triangle
    Concept art is an incredibly difficult field to get into (probably right up there with wanting to be a game writer and narrative designer). That being said it is nice to see people go for their dreams- dam the odds. I truly do hope you succeed!