Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Environment] could you help me with some questions?

node
Offline / Send Message
Rhav node
As you can clearly see form the image, this is still a work in progress. I wanted to ask you for critiques on certain points before continuing further.

I do have a list of questions, but absolutely don't feel restricted by them. If you want to adress other topics feel free to do so : )

1: Do the proportions feel correct? I wanted the city to be very far from the viewer's point of view, but struggled with measurements. In the end i put some trees near the buildings to make proportions more understandable, and tried to match the buildings' Textures to create the illusion of distance.

2: Does this need depth of field? I tried playing with it, making the city blurry - because i heard that distant object are like that - but the results don't quite satisfy me (and maybe that's also because my eyes are burning from looking at my screen for so long :P). Just so you know, in this image there is no depth of field.

3: Presuming that not much is changing, how would you edit the image in post processing? I'm still a newbie in this field, and i can't still wrap my mind around it. I've heard that dropping down the exposure and putting a grain filter over it helps the scene look more realistic. Do you have any other tips? Oh, and the image you see it's not edited in any way

4: I also wanted to create an object in the middle, like a bike laying on the fence, to make the viewer undestand proportions. And also because i think it might look good.

Thank you very much if you read all of that.

Thank you!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    1. proportions seem fine. If I was taking a photo I guess I might not want for half of it to be fencing, but that's more of an artistic choice. Maybe by proportions you meant that? Not sure if you mean like the composition of the scene or that the scale of objects are okay in relation to each other.
    You can look up basic tips for photography to see the universal guidelines but there aren't any true rules. It is your art so you can go with your own gut instinct. My instinct would be to have the concrete and fence drops down to the very bottom - just enough so we have that angled line but not to get in the way of the sunset, sky, reflection on the water.

2. I don't think distance blur would benefit anything here. Usually that is used to bring attention to foreground, like a characters face.

3. For post process I think you might be thinking backwards. Rather than "what tools should I use?" you should ask, "what would make this image pop?" Once you have an answer, then figure out what tool is used to do such a thing.

4. Sure. Bikes, some posed people, potted plants. Could think about what color they might be and see if something a little contrasted to the rest of the scene might be nice. In photoshop or even just google search you can find a color theory helper that will show you different colors that match with others and basic rules for whether it creates harmony, etc.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    I think fhe foreground looks a bit barren. The city looks too matte/uniform, would expect more and varied reflections from the different faccades. A bike leaning against the barrier could be nice.
    Could do overpaints to try out things before committing time to the 3d.