Home Adobe Substance

[Solved] AO/curvature artifacts

Does anyone know what is happening here? It's a simple house siding but AO and curvature bake seem completely random. I made it in Blender and AO node there works normally. Scale is applied, normals are correct, no overlapping vertices. There's no bevel but adding it doesn't make any difference though when reimporting the fbx egdes are just marked as sharp and seams are not there but I don't think that's relevant. I made seams by hand so they should be ok and gave 5px padding to make sure they are not overlapping and I made even a gap between boards so geometry is not overlapping either. 1024 is set when packing in Blender and also Document resolution and Output size in Painter. GPU raytracing is disabled. Use low poly as high poly checked.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    its quite simple : you don't have enough texture resolution to bake to those UVs 
    you just might get away with it if you snap your UVs to pixel boundaries but I wouldn't count on it (certainly wouldn't put the work in given that the UV layout is fundamentally wrong)

you have 2 options  -
    1: bake to a much higher resolution texture, downsample and hope it still holds up
    2: UV it properly (it's a box, unwrap it like one)
  • ibex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe it was that simple. At first I was doing 2K textures and it clearly wasn't enough as well. Than I used 1K in testing because I couldn't be bothered changing the size constantly. Thank you! Also I didn't want to unwrap it like a box because the edges will get lost but now that I think about it they will be hidden anyway...