Home Career & Education

Difficulties of learning 3D modeling survey

Hi all!

I’m a student from UC Santa Cruz researching difficulties people face when getting into 3D art/modeling. If you have experience with 3D modeling or have ever thought about learning it, would you mind doing the anonymous survey below? It’s very short and should take less than 5 minutes. 

Feel free to ask if you have questions or concerns!

Survey link: https://ucsantacruz.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6gU4JoHHEz9NdRk

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i filled it out. seems very subjective questions and answers. What are you expecting to learn from this?

might be more actionable if you tried to get some metrics about time, cost, software. Like what softwares did person use, how many years/months it took before they got first job,  how much money they spent for training, etc.

Like, I could say learning 3d is easy and somebody else says its hard. But it took me 10 years before I got a job and the other got one in 1 year. That's just a matter of how person speaks.
  • Oatvercast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    i filled it out. seems very subjective questions and answers. What are you expecting to learn from this?

might be more actionable if you tried to get some metrics about time, cost, software. Like what softwares did person use, how many years/months it took before they got first job,  how much money they spent for training, etc.

Like, I could say learning 3d is easy and somebody else says its hard. But it took me 10 years before I got a job and the other got one in 1 year. That's just a matter of how person speaks.
    Thanks for filling it out Alex! The goal of the research is to understand people's experiences with learning modeling and what kind of narratives they use to describe their experiences in order to identify themes of struggle. Understanding how people struggle may help inform solutions to the difficulties of 3D modeling, and is a good way for people outside the field to understand what it's like.

Your questions are certainly interesting too - maybe the focus of further inquiry sometime!