Home Technical Talk

Blender transfer vertex order + transfer UVs

wilson66
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
Since the Blender Mega Thread is bugged somehow (I can't write an answer there), I'm opening this new thread.
I'm having a problem with transferring the vertex order of one mesh to the next.

I have the single body of a character (without the head), and two heads of the character (same topology, only shape differs), and I need to make two whole characters from this. Meaning, stitch head 1 onto the body (character 1), stitch head 2 onto the body (character 2).

Both characters need to, and actually have, the same topology and same vertex count in the end (so character 2 could actually be made from the character 1 mesh with a shape key). 

Now an additional requirement has arisen, and that is that both characters need to have the same UV layout.

To achieve this, I wanted to transfer the vertex order from character 1 to character 2, then copy the UV map from character 1 to character 2.

It actually works this way, but unfortunately only in part. When I transfer the UVs from character 1 to character 2, the transferred UV layout on character 2 looks correctly, but it actually is only correctly in part. Meaning, actually in the area where the head was stitched onto the body (bridged polygons), the UVs are not connected to the corresponding UV islands. Each UV (polygon) seems to be inverted from what it actually needs to be, leading to visible seams when baking textures. The UVs are not merged there, I can select each single poly UV island separately, which makes this pretty useless.

Sorry for the lengthy text... maybe someone has used the 'transfer vertex order' addon (from Blender Market), and has come across a similar problem. I'd be thankful for any hints, how to solve this problem. Right now, I would need to somehow invert a lot of polygons separately in the UV editor, rotate them around separately, and stitch them to their corresponding edges, which would really be a pain.

EDIT:
The vertex order actually seems to be the same, I have not noticed any differences there when displaying the Indices. Also transfer of shape keys works correctly, so the vertex order IS the same. The problem seems to happen with the transfer of the UVs. No idea what goes wrong here.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, setting aside the issue you are noticing with the resulting UVs ... why do you need to transfer/recreate UVs in the first place, given that the characters can already morph into one another ? If character A has the "master" UVs, and character B needs to have the exact same UVs ... then just morph character A into the shape of character B, and voila. You get a new version of character B, with all the clean UVs you need.

Of course I am sure that I am missing something here (because you woudn't have started this thread if the solution was *that* simple) ; but still, it remains that if the characters can indeed morph, then giving one the UVs of the other is a non-issue, by definition.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    i agree with Pior - morphs/blendshapes/whatever traditionally only affect vertex position.