Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D game character " Old Hunter"

sandrac
node
Offline / Send Message
sandrac node
Hello, this is a character i made based on the artwork of Heewon Kim. First time I've made a character so complex, if anyone has any critiques or advice please feel free to tell me, I want to learn more.
Programs I used: Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, Maya, substance painter and Marmoset Toolbag

More photos of the process in my artstation : https://www.artstation.com/sandracastro

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Only issue I see is with the first presentation image. You've deliberately dropped this circled area into darkness, but it's pure black. Maybe add a tiny bit of lighting there to catch and show off the detail up close?

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hey, congrats on finishing the project!
    I agree with Vertrucio. Also some areas get lost against the black background. For turn-arounds would make sure everything reads well. Could look at successful presentations of existing characters for ideas. For cinematic shots, get inspiration from movies. I think overall the surfaces look a tad to wet.
    Keep it up!
  • sandrac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandrac node
    Fabi_G said:
    Hey, congrats on finishing the project!
    I agree with Vertrucio. Also some areas get lost against the black background. For turn-arounds would make sure everything reads well. Could look at successful presentations of existing characters for ideas. For cinematic shots, get inspiration from movies. I think overall the surfaces look a tad to wet.
    Keep it up!
    Thank you! by the wetness do you mean the leather ? 
  • sandrac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandrac node
    Vertrucio said:
    Only issue I see is with the first presentation image. You've deliberately dropped this circled area into darkness, but it's pure black. Maybe add a tiny bit of lighting there to catch and show off the detail up close?

@Vertrucio   thanks for replying , I see, yes thank you I will do that !

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    by the wetness do you mean the leather ? 

Hey! Yes the leather, but also the fabrics. Best check the how it looks in different lighting conditions while fleshing out the surfaces. To get the values right, you could put some reference materials next to it, or a reference character (like one from paragon). But maybe you already did it like that?

• sandrac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandrac node
    Fabi_G said:
    by the wetness do you mean the leather ? 

Hey! Yes the leather, but also the fabrics. Best check the how it looks in different lighting conditions while fleshing out the surfaces. To get the values right, you could put some reference materials next to it, or a reference character (like one from paragon). But maybe you already did it like that?

Ah, I see, good idea, ill do that; paragon ? what's that? Thanks, man I appreciate your advice :D
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paragon is a game that was developed by Epic Games a while back. It was discontinued and its character were released on the Unreal Marketplace for free use with Unreal. Today there is probably newer sample content out there, but it might still be interesting to take a look at.
  • sandrac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandrac node
    Fabi_G said:
    Paragon is a game that was developed by Epic Games a while back. It was discontinued and its character were released on the Unreal Marketplace for free use with Unreal. Today there is probably newer sample content out there, but it might still be interesting to take a look at.
    Oooh  ok ok thank you :D , ill check it out, thanks, man!