Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male anatomy sculpt asking for critique

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Josia polycounter lvl 2
Hi, this is a male anatomy study i did. I'd like to have some feedback/critique. If possible not just for the sculpt, but also for lighting and showcase. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Is this Zbrush? If so, go and use Ryan Kingslien's female anatomy model for reference. Overall looks like it needs more 'everything' work; sculpting, proportions, just keep at it
  • Josia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josia polycounter lvl 2
    zetheros said:
    Is this Zbrush? If so, go and use Ryan Kingslien's female anatomy model for reference. Overall looks like it needs more 'everything' work; sculpting, proportions, just keep at it

Thank you! Yes i used Zbrush for sculpting. In future I will use the Ryan Kingslien's female anatomy model in my study's for reference, work a bit longer on them, try to get the proportions right and then add more detail.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Yes, the sculpts anatomy could use some more work. Aside from using references while sculpting, you could make anatomy studies on the side (sketches), try to break down the body into primitive shapes and observe their proportions and relation to each other. Maybe check out a few anatomy for artists books/resources (Bammes comes to mind), to see examples of this.

Before sculpting, building a base out of separate parts might help. And yes, simply keep practicing, it takes time. Could make a sketchbook to document your progress. I like the way it's rendered.

Good luck! 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Using generic reference you can zoom and rotate around helps. Daz 3d is a good program to have on a screen next to you while you work. You can dial in physical attributes to suit what you are after.
    You pretty much want to avoid doing too much work at the top level of subdivision initially, as its hard to control the mesh and results in a lumpy sculpt. Its just personal but I wouldn't practice on partial forms but do the whole figure.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    To give an example, at this stage you might be working at a detail level where polygons in zbrush are ~1 inch in size, or often larger in some areas. We should see the polygons still at this stage.
  • Josia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josia polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for your advice you all! I'll consider all of that in my next study.