Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 - Chicken Cottage House

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pmartinlopez triangle
ArtStation Link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DvYJR9 
I always wanted to post a Cottage House made with a Modular Set. I feel like every environment artist must have that type of environment on their portfolio (like a meme) and this is my second Environment that I'm very proud of.
This Environment is inspired by the Concept Art "the bird house" by Thibaud Purplanche.

Thank you so much to Gerard Martínez Sánchez to create both characters. This Environment feels more alive thanks to the chickens and the character and it's all thanks to him. He already posted on ArtStation the character, so you can go and check it!

Made with Unreal Engine 4, 3DsMax, Maya, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, and ZBrush, this environment was a learning curve for me: from creating different modular pieces and sculpting tileable textures on ZBrush to improving on the Vertex Paint technique and the landscape.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Good job and nice breakdown.

One tip is that there is a way you can hide leaf cards when they are at a close angle aligned with the camera, this way you don't see the cards so much. A tutorial on how to do that is here:

I feel like the shingles are somewhat distracting - they look like bricks because they are so thick and they don't appear to overlap like shingles should. I feel like it would be more in keeping with the style if they were larger too and not stacked so tightly.

• Pmartinlopez
    Offline / Send Message
    Pmartinlopez triangle
    Alex_J said:
    Good job and nice breakdown.

One tip is that there is a way you can hide leaf cards when they are at a close angle aligned with the camera, this way you don't see the cards so much. A tutorial on how to do that is here:

I feel like the shingles are somewhat distracting - they look like bricks because they are so thick and they don't appear to overlap like shingles should. I feel like it would be more in keeping with the style if they were larger too and not stacked so tightly.

Thank you for the advice! Foliage's still something that I struggle a lot, especially in this project. I will take a look at the tutorial! 
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    I saw this on twitter a while ago and loved it! I think that you were really creative in taking this concept and making it you own with the character and the chickens. I agree with @Alex_J about the foliage cards needing some more attention, that would really take this project to the next level, I'm excited to see what you do next!