Home Unreal Engine

Texturing landscapes in unreal engine 5

I'm currently learning environment art and I'm using ue5 for my environment. I used gaea to create a landscape height map and successfully imported it in unreal engine, but now, I'm absolutely lost. I've been following this tutorial to create an automaterial for landscape but it's 3 hours long and I'm halfway there and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The landscape is not a huge part of my project since it's just a portfolio piece and the scene is focused on a gas station and the landscape is just the background with no real use so I don't wanna spend this much time on it. It's also getting extremely complicated which is not what I wanted. I'm coming back to ue after a long time and using ue5 for the first time and there's no quixel create blend material option anymore? I'm just looking for an easy way to texture my landscape with 2 or 3 layers and that can preferably use height data to automatically texture the landscape but is still paintable. Are there any resources or any simple way to do this?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    generate the layer masks with Gaea and load them in when you create your landscape.
    you'll be able to paint on it fine. 

• Variant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    generate the layer masks with Gaea and load them in when you create your landscape.
    you'll be able to paint on it fine. 

Do you have a tutorial or doc for that? I'm fairly new to UE so I'm still learning
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Considering your main focus is the gas station, maybe its less hassle to use meshes for the terrain and put landscapes on your to do list. An older article in the wiki how terrain was done for TLoU: Terrain in The Last Of Us. Depending on the background (steep cliffs, overhangs?) using meshes might be necessary to begin with.

But if your set on using a landscape, I would look at the Unreal documentation, look for sample projects (maybe there is one you can re-purpose) and make some tests to get a better understanding.