Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Dragon's Rise Environment

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Steen polycounter lvl 16
Hi! I participated in the Environment Production category of the Dragon's Rise ArtStation Challenge last year. I've learned a lot since then and have been working to revise the whole thing into portfolio pieces. I've also realized that I need to incorporate some kind of feedback loop into what I'm doing to get better, so I'll be posting what I update here. Would love any feedback! The original concept was created by XiXin Guo.

First up is this fantasy floor lamp(there's gotta be a better name for this). Created with Blender(with a big fistful of addons), Marmoset, and Substance - Rendered in Unreal 5.1:

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I commented on this in discord. But the lamp needs more wear that changes the height info of the texture. You have a lot of grime, which modifies the roughness and maybe the color a bit. But there's none of the actual wear that you'd see on something that's in an environment with people in it. Deep bits of dirt or oil in the recesses, dings, dents, and scratches big and small. Even if you want to keep the top areas without any markings, those areas would be the first to get damaged by everyday wear.
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Hey, Vertrucio. I really appreciate you elaborating on your feedback from the Discord. On my next pass I'll try to get some more normal variation in the wear I add, and vary things up on the top ring and hexes. I realize there's no scale reference here, but this thing is pretty tall. The ring starts at about head height on a human. I felt like things higher up would be less subject to wear, but probably more likely to be dusty. These things exist in an open corridor around a courtyard in Xixin's concept. I probably need to consider more what that exposure to the elements might do. Thanks again for your feedback!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I think the presentation gives no idea of the scale of the structure and how it is used.

Regarding the surface, it looks a bit bland in my opinion. I couldn't tell of what material the colored parts are made of. The metal surface is also quite artificial, marks or patterns from the processing would be an idea and more uneven edges. Could look up construction of similar real world structures/material and apply their processing and wear to yours.

Keep it up!
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the input, Fabi_G. The colored parts are supposed to be painted metal. I'll try to sell that more by adding some larger chipped areas. I agree that there needs to be more variation on the surface of this thing. I'll see what I can come up with.
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Here's the hanging lamp I've also been working on. I've tried to incorporate some of the feedback from the floor lamp above as I've been updating this.

• Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Updates to the floor lamp based on prior feedback. I decided to switch the chalky looking paint to something that hopefully feels more like enamel. There are a few things I'm not 100% satisfied with, but I've got keep moving. That said, further feedback would be appreciated and I may circle back for more polish later.

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Wear on the base of the lamp looks too uniform over the surface. Putting a curvature mask on the wear and adjusting the opacity of it will help the wear that remains pop. Otherwise, good choice of extra detailing on the upper lamp.

I'm thinking you can save some polycount on the hanging lanterns by baking that trim detail down onto a flat. If these are hanging high, players aren't going to look at them closely. But this is more optimizing and that's not really necessary if this is for portfolio or finishing the project quickly.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I think the areas still look a bit flat and the model lacks some finer details. You could add some more constructional details (how was it created and assembled? Currently it looks like from one piece) - and I would rethink the painted metal. Looking at the pillars in the concept, their colored parts seem to consist of tiles. Maybe that's an option for the colored parts of the props too? Imo, the material and processing would be more valuable than painted metal and at the same time add some variation and small scale detail. Of course just my interpretation, understandable if you came to a different conclusion there.

Keep it up!
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Very useful info! Vertrucio, I'll definitely drop a curvature mask on top of this to see how is breaks the dirt up. Fabi_G, the paintover is much appreciated and definitely helps clarify how I can apply the notion of fabrication to my details. Definitely things I'll add when I circle back around. Thanks so much!