Home Career & Education

Senior Environment Artist roles, what's the real expectation for an applicant?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vertrucio greentooth

Environment Art people. What defines a Senior Environment Artist to you and what do you want to see in a portfolio? The job listings often list very different things.

Of the stuff that's not under NDA, my portfolio is definitely not Senior ready, but I want everything I'm working on now to be since I can't show anything of what I consider senior level work, and likely never will be publicly.

I've seen some say that a Senior just working with very little direction or oversight. I've searched the other topics here and a common one is that Senior level artists can handle complex solutions and find simple solutions for complex problems over junior. However I am seeing some listings that involve everything from scripting/rigging technical work, or lead duties. All of which I've done in my last job.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Adding a few answers for those that find this thread looking for answers. The main answer seems to be: Whatever specific requirements for the studio/project are. So make sure you fit what's described in the requirements, and the Senior part can be seen as the requirement of: Be able to do the work, and implement it, without supervision.

This does mean that you'll see, like I've been seeing, wildly different listings, but focus on the description and not the title.

Common additions to this are some level of tech art or even leadership roles. Lots of bonuses if you have those skills.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    In a general sense, a Senior is reserved and self-reliant. When they step-in to help others, when necessary, they are closer to a Lead.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    My interaction with a senior should be this. 

Me: Deal with all the props for this level plz
    Them: All the props are done. I predicted a number of potential issues that could have caused us delays and escalated the issues to the people best qualified to deal with them in a timely fashion. I also helped the more junior members of my team reach their full working potential.
    Me: well done, you have fulfilled your duties as a senior, I will remember this at bonus time.