Home Career & Education

What's the deal with all the remote jobs?

Am I the only one who struggles to find 100% remote jobs lately? For the past 6 years I've worked 100% remotely for various companies around Europe, but for the past 4-5 months I swear it's incredibly hard to find a proper job that's 100% remote.

All of the jobs that advertise as remote jobs are actual hybrids and they require you to be from their country or even city. While the ones that are 100% remote are freelance or contract jobs for a specific amount of time, pretty much never something long-term.

Is it just me, am I looking in all the wrong places or what?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

There's a few things going on in the year(s) since covid that are perhaps having an impact

1: more people want to or are at least prepared to work remotely - more competition

2: plenty of companies determined over the last year or two that remote working is less than optimal and are walking back fully remote positions in an effort to try and incentivise employees to come into the office (some more gently than others )

3: everywhere massively overhired through 2021/22 cos they were all making loads of money so they just aren't hiring as much.

these are just observations based on experiences trying to hire people and reading industry press of course. im no expert in the european employment market

• mitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@poopipe I kept thinking companies are trying to get people back into offices, as well. I just don't want to believe that being the case, since it's pretty much the only way of getting a good income where I'm from.
    In my country artists working at Ubisoft, EA, Gameloft, etc. are getting paid $800 - $1,000 / month… which, in my eyes, is not even a part-time income for an experienced 3D Artist. Let alone for a 9-hour work schedule which requires a 2-hour commute because none of the big offices are in the center of the city.
    And it's not one of those countries where $900 / month seems low but it's fine compared to the local living costs - rent for just a decent apartment is already like half of that money 😅.

Just got off the phone yesterday with someone from Ubisoft. Their idea of "flexible work hours" means you can come into office anytime… as long as it's between 8AM - 10AM.
    My last on-site job had actual flexible hours. Meaning I could come to the office literally whenever I want, as long as I do my 8 hour schedule. And I'd come in at 2PM and leave at 10PM, since it fits my time and schedule much better.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another factor. Big companies have applied for tax credits from municipalities where they rented office space in large multi-year leases. 

These contracts usually stipulate a certain percentage of occupancy before the tax breaks are paid out. This is ostensibly to improve the local economy, with these occupant workers buying local food, transport, etc.

The pandemic put a serious dent in these contracts. But now that restrictions have been lifted, municipalities and these companies want to fulfill their contracts. 

So you get the push for RTO once again. But the situation is really not the same anymore, workers are not having it. 
  • SoulScience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulScience polycounter lvl 10
    Agree. Past 4-5 months without any work. I am an experienced Digital Sculptor and can't find any remote job. Remote job is the only way for me. Don't know what to do.
  • mitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree. Past 4-5 months without any work. I am an experienced Digital Sculptor and can't find any remote job. Remote job is the only way for me. Don't know what to do.

I'm still struggling with it at the moment...
    I swear I used to have people popping up in my Artstation DMs at least once a month with a decent project / job offer. However, in the past few months, I received literally 0 inquires about work on Artstation. I mean not even one of those scammy DMs...

The last 2 companies that got in touch with me were under the premise of "We do outsourcing, so we cannot guarantee you a fixed amount of volume work, and we only pay you for how much you work in that certain month" - a great business model when you're the company and there's no risk involved for you cause you don't have to pay anyone unless you've made a profit off of them, but a horrible business model when you're the one in need of work.
    None of those are offering proper long-term contracts, no sustainability, and no guarantee of making enough money the next month...

I just want a damn job that guarantees I'll have enough money to make it through the month. It's just crazy at the moment, I've never experienced such a dry period in my professional life, and honestly I have no idea how I'll make it through.
    I'm seriously thinking about working for pennies or even getting a job outside of 3D, just because I literally make $0 and I'm burning through my savings like crazy...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @mitroi I think there is less work around these days, maybe all the freelance work is going to bigger outsourcing companies?
    I don't really get any work any more and have being freelancing since 2007
  • SoulScience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulScience polycounter lvl 10

I just want a damn job that guarantees I'll have enough money to make it through the month. It's just crazy at the moment, I've never experienced such a dry period in my professional life, and honestly I have no idea how I'll make it through.
    I'm seriously thinking about working for pennies or even getting a job outside of 3D, just because I literally make $0 and I'm burning through my savings like crazy...
    I feel your pain mate, hope you will find a good job. I think everything will be allright, just don't panic, panic and fear always makes situations like this worse. Good luck to us!