Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy study - skulls

Lemenus
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lemenus polycounter lvl 5

I begun learning character sculpting, decided to start from fundamentals, in this case skull, did two skulls using different approaches

Done in ZBrush. At first I was doing my sculpts in Blender, but the lack of tools and the inability to work with large polycounts brought me here. (also the fact that lots of tutorials about sculpting characters are done in zbrush, and the fact that industry using this and nothing else)

Critique needed, and suggestions what to do next.

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator

Hey, this feels a bit like I'm spamming my crap a bit but I noticed another person doing something very similar to you on the forum asking for help and I recently made some resources on this. I'd give you generally the same advice I gave him, work large to small shapes. So in your case the obvious thing you could do is break off the lower jaw into its own subtool and start refining those two adjoining shapes. (that's how the skill is built in real life as two seperate parts there). If your interested I have a tutorial on this type of thing here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dKLPGA

>edit< I'll also mention I see some of the larger shapes you have sculpted there not really looking anatomically correct. Particularly in the upper back Cranium Area. If you took a big move brush and grabbed it from the back sides and just pulled outward it would start to make the correct shape there. But essentially look at the shape from the top down with a reference and you'll see what I mean. Also the widest part of the skull is somewhere around the temple area (height wise) on the BACK side of the skull (not the temple itself). You want to try to capture that shape for sure. A lot of people don't realize this but probably the most important parts to capture is the shape of the upper cranium when making faces. Anyway, keep at it, your'e off to a great start!