Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Turtle Mount and Rider

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vertrucio greentooth

Got permission, and started to work on this Turtle Mount from a concept by Dustin Panzino (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v2RvNv) a few days back and wanted to track progress and get feedback here.

I'll be doing both the turtle and the rider character. RIght now I have the turtle and props blocked in, now I'm blocking in the rider and sizing everything. My next steps are to bring the zbrush blockin into Blender to model out the props on the turtle.

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    This is coming along. Right now just using hard surface techniques on getting the stowage and saddle props to have clean high poly before zbrush. Adjusting the layout a bit too. Decided that the other side and back of the mount will have a large medicine cabinet and some more barrels with odds and ends, and another lantern.

And the current status of the rider. Just blocked in the body and did a quick pose and scaling test. Will get back to her once the turtle is ready for detailing.

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool! looking forward to the progress and seeing it done.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I may have overcomplicated this a bit. It's going to end up as a whole lot of assets. Just a little more work on the left side props before I send everything over to zbrush.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    that's a cool concept. Most of all I like the coloring and painting style. I'll be interested to see how you handle the texturing and shaders.

I'll offer one advice, and it's not to suggest it is a better way to do anything, just a free "if shoe fits, wear it" type of thing:

To me the most interesting and probably most challenging part about this art is the two characters and the textures. All the props are just basic shapes and would be lower effort to get right and have lower impact on final result. For example, if the turtles face looks a little bad because you did it last and had lower energy to redo it as many times as needed to get it right, that would have greater effect than if you made fewer revisions to lantern or crate.

So I might focus on the characters and their faces and textures first - put big energy into those and then when you are feeling confident about it finishing up the "props" would be like adding icing to the cake.

Just free advice, it might not be appropriate for your situation - I don't know the full picture and it may simply be not how you like to work and that's fine.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Thanks. I agree with this, and part of the hold up has been figuring out the texturing, and detail levels, for the turtle and character. I think I have it set now so it's just a matter of executing.
    The other props still need to be of a quality though since the whole package needs to be portfolio ready. It is effectively a character and a little mini environment. I'm also trying to include a diorama base with a bit of animation and water effects under it. 
  • bshagopian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any more progress on this awesome turtle and rider?