Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Hard Surface Glock Modeling

triangle
Offline / Send Message
jeffxfcVA triangle

Blockout of the Glock as well as the booleans.

Replies

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle

blockout of my pistol continued

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle

Time to put this bad boy in Zbrush

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle

Zbrushing progress.

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle

The final pistol sculpt.

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Looking solid so far. Is this just practice or do you have some vision for a final piece?
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    rexo12 said:
    Looking solid so far. Is this just practice or do you have some vision for a final piece?
    Kinda both, I want to do this project because my portfolio lacks hard surface stuff. So, I want to complete a hard surface project that shows my competence in modeling hard-surface objects to any potential employers. Also, it's my friends Glock that I'm modeling, so, yeah.

• jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    Done with Retopology.
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle

My current progress with texturing.
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    Finished texturing.
  • rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    jeffxfcVA said:
    rexo12 said:
    Kinda both, I want to do this project because my portfolio lacks hard surface stuff. So, I want to complete a hard surface project that shows my competence in modeling hard-surface objects to any potential employers. Also, it's my friends Glock that I'm modeling, so, yeah.

I think my comment then would be to consider your presentation - how are you going to make this stand-out with respect to every other glock model out there? It's going to need something extra because it is not a particularly complicated or interesting subject on its own.

You've maybe moved through the texturing too quickly. It is missing the characterisation and story-telling you should be doing through the materials, particularly in the tertiary details. The scratches on the barrel are inconsistent and the dirt in the grooves does not make sense to me. The alignment of your lettering stamps are also off with respect to each other.

The rest of the model is basically flat in terms of its material definition. I'm not sure that the trigger and frame should share the same material, nor the magazine. I would maybe also expect to see some subtle roughness variation from dust and skin oil buildup from handling.
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    I'm gonna put this project as finished for now, as I am fairly okay with how it looks right now. I tried to address rexo12's critique, particularly when it comes to story-telling. I added the stickers of my friend's art because he's an avid CSGO player and one of the mechanics of that game is putting a 'sticker' on gun skins. What's a better way to signify that this gun is his than to put his own artwork into the weapon itself? Unfortunately, I would have loved to have rendered this in Unreal, but the normal map was far too different from what the Substance Painter's normal map looked like. I think it might have been because I haven't triangulated before I started painting. Anyhow, I've learned a lot from this project and I'm gonna rely a lot more on blueprints and story-telling on my future 3D models.