Home General Discussion

Pen display flex-arm mounting options

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13

My brother got me an absoutely gorgeous 16" Huion pen display for Christmas and I'm trying to find a way to mount this thing on an articulated arm that lets me fold it out of the way to the side of my desk when I'm not using it. I looked at the Cintiq stand and honestly - it doesn't look wildly different than a lot of the monitor flex-arm mounts on Amazon. Certainly not enough for a $400+ pricetag.

The Huion is a bit of a challenge though. I have the Kamvas 16 2.5k version.

• It's not VESA compatible (I'm handling this with a 3D printed adapter bracket)
  • It's large but thin and light. It's larger than the biggest iPad or android tablets on the market, so it doesn't fit stands made for those, and it's much thinner and lighter than even small LCD monitors, so stands for monitors don't work well either
  • If the arm mount sticks up too high in the folded position, it'll block one of my side monitors… I can't find any mounts that have an adjustable angle for both the upper and lower arm.

Anybody found a flex-arm mount that works really well? Something I missed scrolling through Amazon? There's medical and industrial grade stuff that pops up on Google or DDG, but they're crazy expensive.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I use the Amazon basics ergotron clone.

Ive got a 22" Chinese cintiq clone from about 7 years ago which is very heavy and that causes some wobbling so I usually just pull it out and rest it in the desk when painting - I imagine there'd be a lot less wobbling with something thin and light though.

I've bought a few cos they're good value - last time I payed about £80 .

The ergotron ones are better quality which you notice most in terms of adjusting resistance and load capacity - if you can stretch to one of those then it's probably worth the money if you're going to be moving it around a lot.

Whatever you get, make sure you mount it to the desk with a big bolt-the clamps are shit

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Unless one absolutely wants to paint with their arm high up, monitor arms are actually not a necessity at all for pen displays. A great alternative is this :

https://www.amazon.com/Wearson-WS-03A-Adjustable-Folding-100x100mm/dp/B00XUF2GBI?th=1

These are way more sturdy than they look, as the inner frame is all metal.

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    So I ended up going with this one, since it has a low mounting pedestal and the lower arm doesn't have a high fixed rise angle.  This lets me fold it off to the side of my desk, and then pull it out and hover it above the center of my desk when I'm using it.  I fold it away because there's a Wacom underneath it that I use when I'm zBrushing, I've got a 34" ultrawide monitor that's easier on my eyes for that than the 16" 2k screen of the Huion.  It's perfect for Krita, though!

https://www.amazon.com/FLEXIMOUNTS-Monitor-Computer-11-17-3-Notebook/dp/B00V33L7UK

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:

Unless one absolutely wants to paint with their arm high up, monitor arms are actually not a necessity at all for pen displays. A great alternative is this :

https://www.amazon.com/Wearson-WS-03A-Adjustable-Folding-100x100mm/dp/B00XUF2GBI?th=1

These are way more sturdy than they look, as the inner frame is all metal.

That does look pretty sturdy. I have 3x monitors on ergotron-style arms and the last thing I would want to do is paint on one. They move/wobble way too much.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15

That does look pretty sturdy. I have 3x monitors on ergotron-style arms and the last thing I would want to do is paint on one. They move/wobble way too much.
     What about when you sneeze or roll your office chair a fraction of a mm?  Also, you're a mad lad for doing this.  Absolute Mad, Lad.

How's the ergo arm you purchased working out for you @ga@GarageBay9 (if you've received and field tested it)?  Has it saved you any space?  Have the clips that hold the tablet hindered your ability to use the device?  The clips looked like they form around the tablet, and I could see that being cumbersome.  How has your experience been thus far?

Having an ergo on my 21" Cintiq display and using it everyday for several years, I can only recommend to never use a tablet display and buy a bigger desk for a large scale pen tablet.  You won't bleed your eyes inside out or block your work with your physical hand and arm.  Trying to merge traditional techniques with digital ones is really a moot point now.  We don't need to cram our faces into a monitor to see what we're doing, and we don't need to physically see our hand doing it to accomplish quality results.  If anything, in this medium, visibly watching your hand perform the task is more of a hindrance than a gain.  I know your display tablet was a gift, and I totally get that.  I know I would feel compelled to give it a shot and invest in something to make it work for my daily activities; it's an incredible gift!!!  I simply wish I never had a display tablet at this point in my career.  They seem to make everything harder and are not worth the hype they receive, imo. 

Truly hope this arm extension works out for you!  If not, definitely give Pior's advice a shot.  You'd be surprised at how grounded some of these standalone mounts feel and operate. 
    Best wishes!