Home Technical Talk

ZBrush to Substance FBX size problems

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Acute polycounter lvl 8

I may never know the answer to this, but I'm stubborn and can't step away from a mystery.

I have a situation where I have a low poly mesh I've exported in fbx from Maya, and a high poly mesh I've fbx exported from ZBrush. The low poly was originally retopo'd in Topogun with an OBJ of the high poly from ZBrush as a reference, then brought into Maya as an OBJ for unwrapping before being exported out in bake ready form as an FBX.

When bringing both FBX files into Substance Painter to bake one to the other, the high poly from Zbrush shows up as a larger size than the low poly, they don't match up. When importing that same high poly fbx into Maya however it's the same size as the low and matches up as expected.

If I then export that high poly fbx back out of Maya (so that it came from Maya and not directly from ZBrush) it then matches my low in Substance Painter.

I don't know if this is the fault of Maya, ZBrush, Substance, or a mix of all three. Obviously something goes wrong when you mix and match between OBJ and FBX and I should just stick to FBX throughout the entire pipeline, but I'm curious as to what broke when. Which program specifically is messing with the scale?

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

I ran into this to, its zbrush settings from what i figured, tbh i didn't look into how to setup zbrush units in a document/project. I just did what you did and kept to one extension. Edit: i did want to look into setting it up correctly though, it also has to do with scaling in fbx, i once managed to correct one object playing with that a lot but totally gave up cause i didn't remember wtf i did. :)

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

These problems are often caused by the settings in the zbrush export menu:

http://docs.pixologic.com/reference-guide/tool/polymesh/export/

You should check what it says in your scene. When you import a obj or FBX it will automatically create settings in this menu. If you change them the size of your scene changes when you export.

BUT - there's also a good chance this is the fault of topogun. This seems like the step where the scale changed. Does topogun have it's own export scale settings?

There's two ways I would fix this.

1. import your bake mesh into zbrush and scale the zbrush tool to fit it
    2. import your bake mesh into zbrush - and then re-export it into maya and scale the bake mesh in maya to fit the new size