Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][UE5] Could use some feedback how to push my stylized enviroment to the next level

triangle

Hi there!

I've been learning UE5 during my free time, coming from years of using Unity, as I am slowly transitioning towards becoming an environment artist rather than just a 3D artist. I have been playing around with the engine for a while now and managed to put together this basic scene, but I am now struggling with how to progress it further. Here are the two versions I am currently trying to decide between:

There is something that feels off to me, but instead of banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what it is, I thought it might be better to get some feedback from you lovely people. Therefore, any and all feedback is welcome!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

The biggest issue I see with it is, what's the story? What are you trying to say with it? What's the focus? Is there any details for the viewers eye to stumble on?

A quick option might be to throw a bird on the well and a bunny or two in the field. But you could also throw in some tools and make it look like the well was just rebuilt/repaired. Maybe add some mystery and put a wanted or missing person poster on the well. Anything to add more life and a story to the scene.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! Presentation wise, I think the shadows are quite dark, while other lit elements like the flower are blown out. Maybe some subsurface scattering on the foliage, so it's less sharp.

I think you could try out different camera angles and settings. For example, could try a having the well more format filling and setup the camera so the view on it is less upfront. Currently there is much empty space in the foreground, making it look empty. A way to potentially make it work better, would be to have a path leading towards it. Here is an overpaint:

Could take a step back, look for "old well" + nature illustrations to get inspired and take notes (composition, color, lighting) and explore options with overpaints.

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HalfAsleepArtist triangle

Thank you for your reply and feedback. You are correct in pointing out that the scene lacks a cohesive 'story', and I agree that storytelling is an area I need to improve upon. While I attempted to convey meaning through the use of bricks and planks, incorporating some tools would better align with the overall theme and enhance the narrative.

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you for bringing to my attention the blown out lighting and harsh shadows. I had noticed something was off in the screenshots, but I had become too attached to my work to see it clearly lol. I realize now that I may have been too accustomed to rendering close-up beauty shots, and that creating a larger environment may not have made sense for this particular scene where the well is the central focus. Additionally, I wanted to express my appreciation for the overpaint example you provided - the addition of the pebbles greatly improved the overall look of the scene

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Okay so I did some further experimentations with the lighting and the colors for the scene based on all the feedback Ive received. I also tested some alternative camera angels to try out more interesting composition:

I think I am personally most satisfied with the version D (4th one). Any thoughts?

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter

Hello Half Asleep,

Your assets look pretty good but here are some of my thoughts:

Your compostion is boring to the viewer - overall very symetrical (centered asset…right at the horizon line).Your trees are all the same scale and distance apart from one another…giving your composition a very uniform feel, and lacking visual variety/intrest. Why not have trees and bushes on one side and more rocks and flowers on the other, rock cliff on one side contrasting flower field on the other? Introduce water in the foreground/puddle? Play with the elements and work with the silhouette's and negatvie space. Sky can be just as interesting as a bunch of tree assets if done correctly. Having everything centered (the well, with trees on both sides is a visually boring composition). Use the shapes/silhouettes/negative space to form a better composition. I'd say your more or less the red X at the moment with your images. (see below)

Your path to the well doesn't read visually as a path just yet. I'd suggest makeing a 3D asset / gravel pathway asset you can interlock and use to place down onto the path. I'd make it organic in nature (in terms of the layout of the asset). Your current path suffers from the same problems as your trees…evenly spaced out rocks/pebbles that kind of look more like cow's spots instead of a proper path.

Your tree canopy - it's very cloned atm…why not make a few shapes or have a supporting asset you can jam in there to give it a different silhouette?

Camera perfectly matched to horizon line…an easy way to give a composition more intrest is to slightly shift the horizon line (rotate the camera slightly on it's axis). This image is already more intersting to the viewer because it's not a flat horizon. Even though the subject matter isn't very compeling in the photo below. (flat lighting, not intersting subject matter, almost no focal point…etc). It does have a little more of a dynamic feel due to the horizon not being perfectly flat.

Keep going.

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello, thank you for the feedback! Creating 3D props is my forte, while environments have been a weakness of mine as I've recently shifted my focus from being a generalist to specializing in environment art. I have been accustomed to rendering hero props as the central element, and as a result, my compositions tend to revolve around them 😅. The pebbles sure do like cowspots, I should probably just use texture for the road rather than solid color. Nevertheless, your comments regarding silhouette and negative space have prompted me to consider altering the scene altogether and moving towards something more like these:

or even something like this, but less dramatic:

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

And.. here is the result(s) of that:

with Lumen:

without Lumen:

I think I am going to make a few more tweaks and call it done for now, as I need to move on to the next project.