Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please give a feedback and advice for newbie 3d artist

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hello, my name is Mikhail, i am a newbie self-taught 3d artist, i am 33 years old and recently discovered that 3d is my passion, and thing that i want to do for a living.

For now i am studying hard, while working, through different online 3d courses and gathering the portfolio on Artstation -

https://mikhailyoo.artstation.com/

I would like to become a character artist in game development industry, and i really need help with advice and feedback, ideally i need a good mentor, who will give me the right vector.

How to find my first job? Which skills to upgrade first? Are 3d stock good for newbie?

I really want start earning on 3d, so i can spend all my time there.

Thank you in advance,

Mikhail Yoo

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

If you want to become a character artist then it wouldn't hurt to study anatomy. Your folio is very basic. It looks like you need much more practice.

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator

no complaining! work harder! *cracks whip*

but yea you need more practice. If you're looking for a job, look up application requirements for 3d artists to get a general idea. Also visiting Artstation for a good ol' machoistic ego thrashing references never hurts. For mentors, I hear Jonah lobe was looking into/is doing that https://www.twitch.tv/jonahlobe

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! Similar to what was already written, I think doing characters involves lots of subcategories (anatomy, hair, cloth, topology, rigging and skinning, etc) and you just have to put in the time. You could create threads here, sharing your projects and questions to hopefully get feedback along the way.

Maybe it's faster to get a earning job as 3d artist doing environments or props. Becoming a character artist could be the long term goal you can work towards on the side. Once you got a job, you could connect with the character artists on your team.

Good luck!