Home Technical Talk

Displacement issue (no details).. Zbrush-> Maya

Hello so here's my issue, I followed the Flipped Normals tutorial here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ThBTEc8L_M&t=1207s)

I imported my 4k displacement map from Zbrush into Maya and when I attempt to render, no details show up (see 4th image to see Zbrush details)

I saw people online say mess around with the Scalar Zero Value and Bonus padding but neither worked

Another thing that caught my eye was two shape nodes in my attribute editor, each one has some different settings applied in each but not sure what could've duplicated it.

When I first encountered the issue, I changed my uvs from UDIM tiles to a single tile (this was before I knew Maya could read UDIMS) . Now I'm suspecting that the single tile is not enough texture space for the details I'm looking for. (my possible solution is to re-do the UVS into UDIMS so the face has more texture space to work with)

My exporter settings in Zbrush I used to get to this point.. Flipped Normals said keep midpoint at .5 but this inflated my mesh in Maya.. (even after changing corresponding settings to -.5x) Therefore I kept the midpoint at 0

Also, I changed the displacement settings in the hypershade. Instead of plugging in the the Out Alpha to the Displacement node, I plugged in the Out Color (Red channel) to the displacement. Was this the right move?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback! I'm using the latest versions of both Zbrush and Maya

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Sculpt some spikes on your model for testing. And dont use an ss shader for displacement at the beginning.

Or do a workflow test with a sphere first.

If that does look like expected go back to your old setup.